Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 newbie questions

arthouse

Hi all.

Last weekend i picked up a 997.2 C2, really happy with it, i'll post some pics soon, but just one thing bugging the hell out of me all week ... i can not, for the life of me, get the memory seats to save my settings. They're the adaptive sports seats, every time i unlock the car, the seat goes back to the previous owners stored settings, so i have to adjust it every time, same for both keys 1 and 2.

I've read and followed the instructions in the user manual, basically says - with key 1, turn ignition on, adjust seat, hold memory button in, press memory button 1 (with the key symbol on it), to which i should hear an 'audible tone' - i hear nothing, ignition off, get out of car, lock car, wait for a minute or so, unlock car .. seat should stay where i've programmed it to, but it just goes back to previous settings. Same story with key 2.

I've read various threads online - ''hold memory button then press unlock/lock button on actual key'' - nothing.
Ignition on, set seat position, press memory and button 1 together, then again memory button and button 1 together, then lock, wait for flashing LED on dash to go from fast flashing to slow flashing, then unlock ... still not working.

Simultaneously, my passenger mirror adjustment gave up adjusting and dipping in reverse, which i believe is all set from the memory button too, could that be affecting the seat memory or are somehow linked :?:

Also, do all 997.2 Carreras come with a TPMS? I'm not seeing it in the computer and it doesn't say whether it was an option or not in the user manual.

Would appreciate any help/advice!

Matt

If you don't hear that beep when pressing the button to store, then it won't work. Sometimes a repeat of the handover procedure will fix it. The near side mirror uses the same module.

TPMS was not on all cars. I don't have it.

My car is a 2011 Gen 2 Carrera 2 and it does not have TPMS. Can't help on the memory settings, sorry.

mine hasn't got TPMS either , re the pax mirror might be wrong but doesn't the auto dip option only work if you have the control unit on the door switched to the Pax side, you may have moved or forgotten to move it back to the pax side . :thumb: I think the seat settings may require a visit to the OPC and a reset with PIWIS :thumb:

I need to check the owners manual and I could be wrong but if my memory serves me correctly (pun intended 😬) you need to have the Sports Chrono Plus option for the various memory settings to work

No. You need memory feature for this to work, which he has. Sport Chrono brings 'individual memory' as part of PCM as part of the plus package.

This happened on my last car but as I never used it didn't notice it till it went for a 'health check'. Apparently the key becomes unassigned (not the right phrase) from the memory and needs to be reassigned, or at least that's what I was told.
If you've gone through the correct procedure and used Key 1 and it still doesn't work then that is more than likely what it'll be, I think it may need a visit to OPC, if you do go remember to stick a new battery in before you go just so they don't charge you a ridiculous amount for a new one.
This was my car, it may not be the cure for your car.

The car does need to know the position of the seat so im wondering if it has forgotten this ..

Similar to when you have a flat battery the window positions need teaching.

What you can try is to reset it ..

So move the seat all the way forward release then hold forward button for a few seconds .. do this for the rear then full up and full down.

After that try a re code again.

Mirror dip .. hmm .. ignition on and adjust the mirror downwards but with the car in reverse then code it .. see if that makes any difference .

Other than this i would be looking for fault codes etc so not much else i can say .

Thanks guys for all the advice! Been busy cleaning her all day.

What happened with the mirror was, I'd just driven off after buying it, stopped to set my sat Nav, I dipped the passenger mirror to reverse close to a curb, when I put the car in reverse I then realized it auto dipped, so it then went as low as it could, when I drove off again I was unable to move it back up, stopped later and moved it manually, hasn't worked since ... seems to be a common fault that the motor packs up inside the mirror housing, or the contacts get corroded.

The car has had a new battery recently ... so maybe it needs this reset to be done, thank you for that deMort, I hadn't seen that info anywhere online or in the manual. There is a 'clear memory' function mentioned in the manual, by using the door memory switch which I tried, but it didn't work.

I'll give it a try and report back a bit later :thumb:

deMort said:
The car does need to know the position of the seat so im wondering if it has forgotten this ..

Similar to when you have a flat battery the window positions need teaching.

What you can try is to reset it ..

So move the seat all the way forward release then hold forward button for a few seconds .. do this for the rear then full up and full down.

After that try a re code again.

Mirror dip .. hmm .. ignition on and adjust the mirror downwards but with the car in reverse then code it .. see if that makes any difference .

Other than this i would be looking for fault codes etc so not much else i can say .

You sir, are a legend! This worked! Thanks so much, really appreciate that :worship:

My N/S mirror did that too. It would pan left and right, but died as soon as I tried to move it down. Would come back to life (for left and right) when I next started the car.

Hi all, I'm back again, I've been meaning to come back and say - just when I thought I'd sorted it, I thanked dMort, went to the car an hour or so later, unlocked it and watched the seat go back to the previous owners position again haha 🙈 I think, when I tested it the first time, I didn't leave it locked for long enough before unlocking, hence the seat stayed put where I wanted it.

I seem to have a few little electronic bugs. I'm aware the battery was replaced recently so I'm wondering if any of it is related still;

Memory Seats (adaptive sport seats) - they adjust in every direction, they're holding memory, but I can't change the memory, no audible tone when holding memory button and pressing corrosponding key button

Passenger Mirror - dips when car is put in reverse, doesn't come back up when driving forwards and won't adjust from the toggle button, the drivers side is fine. Weird as it suggests the toggle button still works and so does the mirror motor.

Rear Parking Sensors - Only seem to work when they feel like it, volume is up with PCM off. Was messing with it last night, it worked at random with no changes to settings.

Heater/Air Con - I've noticed when pressing the windscreen de-misting button, which puts the fans on full blast, an irregular fan speed occurring this week. I used the indicators the other night, and just afterwards, the fan speed slowed.

What on earth (no pun intended) is going on?! Wrong battery? Alternator on its way out? Separate issues or related?

I'm guessing it needs plugging in to see what's up.

Any recommendations for somewhere to take it in Suffolk/North Essex or Cambridge? OPC my best bet?

Quick update;

A bit annoying that this is happening this time of year, can't really get it booked in anywhere soon.

Last night i had a look at the battery, looks new as described, a Bosch S5 010 800A, listed on Eurocarparts as correct for my car.

Took it for a drive, it doesn't crank slowly.

Had the windscreen clearing button on, fans on full blast, used the windscreen wash, as i did, the fans blew faster for a few seconds, odd.

Noticed the digital speedo was slow to change speed reading, like you could see the numbers overlapping, if that makes sense. First time i've noticed this.

Pulled over after 15-20 minutes, tried reversing to see if the park assist worked, nothing,

Drove for another 10 - 15 minutes, stopped and tried reverse again, park assist came alive again, and the speedo seemed to be back to normal.

The alternator looks like the original, i'm wondering if its not putting out as much as it should.

I've searched on here for similar scenarios but not found anything. I've read about the Power Dist Pin, could that cause similar symptoms?

Any ideas? Bit worried about driving it now.

Certainly sounds an odd one! But it also sounds as if it may be load dependant which to me means a probable bad earth, gone high resistance. Find every earth lead you can, remove it, check the crimp joint for corrosion (usually white or greeny crystals) clean the tag face and the face it bolts to, wirebrush the screw/bolt then replace. Once that is done try it again. If the same start on power connections with the battery and starter motor ones first. That is the way I would approach it now. We can't see it but to me it doesn't sound like a fault that software will identify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back