Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

stuck headlight

knw911

like many 996's of this vintage, my headlights have yellowed a little. today i chose to tackle them with my DA polosher.

thought it would be easier to do them on a bench... so popped out the passenger side and went to work. all good....however,

went to the drivers side and simply couldnt get it out the car. the retainer bar seems to be spinning and / or the tool spinning on the bar.

any help or ideas folks??

Have you tried a proper (if I recall right) 5 mm socket? The one in the tool kit is not great.

I think it's a solid bit of metal, so not much to go wrong with the retaining bar.

Robertb said:
Have you tried a proper (if I recall right) 5 mm socket? The one in the tool kit is not great.

I think it's a solid bit of metal, so not much to go wrong with the retaining bar.

will try that.. cheers!

The tool doesnt work on mine - I use a 5mm deep socket 1/4" drive. Now in the tool kit with a T bar and extension.

Ian

I really struggle with the passenger one out, it's easy to get the tool in the drivers side, the passenger side plastic hole surround thing is just off by a mm to unless I really force the tool in dead hard it spins as its not engaged on the hex head.

so tried the 5mm socket, same problem in that it isn't releasing the headlight. could the head light have been incorrectly seated last time its been put in? also, the 5mm socket is now stuck (sure will come off with some pilars).

also not great pic, but photo of the polished vs non polished headlights for those interested.

Attachments

• whatsapp_image_2018_12_16_at_130350_477.jpeg
    whatsapp_image_2018_12_16_at_130350_477.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 2,775
Hate to be professor of the bleedin obvious - are you turning the right way. Its the opposite direction to the other side.

Next step is to strip out the arch liner and see if you can budge it from underneath.

Ian

Last check before pulling the linner down is have a look in the hole where the adjustor is .. sometimes the bar is at an angle and the tool wont go on it .. ive angled the tool before and pushed to get it on in the past .

These light trays are a great design when they work, but as they get older and brittle they're a nightmare.

The passenger side one in my Boxster has broken where the bar inserts so it can't snap the light into place. Its now held in by zip ties until I get around to putting the replacement tray in. Thats a bit of a pain to do too, hence why I've kept putting it off :roll:

When a tool (porsche supplied or 5mm socket) is put on the retainer bar, you can feel it spin, but it "spins off".

What I can't figure out is if it ...;

a) the Bar end which the tool connects to has been worn away, effectively taking the edges off the bar meaning the tool spins

Or..

b) the bar is spinning underneath the headlight

And when I say spinning, i dont mean freely. It gets to a point where there is a bit of friction, then it slips, and spins.

Attached are a couple of pics. My fear is A.

Attachments

• dbfc9533_d01e_4569_a4c4_b5ec4d53e5b1_185.jpg
    dbfc9533_d01e_4569_a4c4_b5ec4d53e5b1_185.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,598
  • df3bdd4b_4bf6_4259_a3d6_857fad5732bf_331.jpg
    df3bdd4b_4bf6_4259_a3d6_857fad5732bf_331.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 2,598
If it's 'A' you could clean up the area and using a strong glue (JB Weld) attach an old 5mm socket. That way when the glue has set, usually 24 hrs, you could use an extension bar to turn it.

It looks perfectly centred so it's not the problem with it not being able to engadge due to off centre hex. I can see the hex looks OK, not rounded, but there's a load of grease over it? It's an odd one as the bar is one piece of metal so don't see how it could break and spin unless the mountings on the headlight are broken somehow?

Its A .

The tool is a socket so it will fit over a Hex .. you have a circle there im afraid .. there is nothing left to fit the tool over that it will grip to.

However and something ive not noticed before is that there seems to be an allen key fixing in the center of it ..

If it was me i would try a few different allen keys to see if i could release it that way.

At the end of the day though you will need a new base plate .

Trust me .. this is better than B ... as that way you would need a new headlight .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back