Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Creating a Rallye car replica

Yeah but it's not possible by the looks of it due to wheels/tyres/brakes.

But possible to jack it up slightly for abit more clearance

Must admit I like the idea, anything that makes the car more usable on a daily basis can only be a good thing. What's the max clearance on the standard suspension and with changing the geo to a set up with less camber? I'd imagine the latter would be good for an inch or so of lift alone. The affect of all this on the handling would be less than good I'd imagine though :?:

Roro said:
Must admit I like the idea, anything that makes the car more usable on a daily basis can only be a good thing. What's the max clearance on the standard suspension and with changing the geo to a set up with less camber? I'd imagine the latter would be good for an inch or so of lift alone. The affect of all this on the handling would be less than good I'd imagine though :?:

Didnt think GT3 suspension could be raised? Thought it was a fixed height strut with after market ones being height adjustable?

Regarding camber for me, it wouldnt make much difference, rolling the arches would as im running a size 'up' in tyres and so the tyre is closer to the arch now.

Been out in it the past few weekends, last weekend it 'bottomed out' on a dip i didnt notice and been down some lanes which have been undulating. Even a road i knew well now has a sunken section pre to mid corner entry and a wicked dip just post exit

As for the handling, i guess it depends really, i dont have the ability to drive the car at its limits (never will tbh) though i wouldnt have thought it would make it lairy/tail happy at every corner?!

I found a Brit on Rennlist who has done this already and suggested i speak to his friend (who is selling his on ebay), so will message them. Though the car for sale is running Pro-Flex suspension.

For those still interested, found a thread on rennlist about Chris Harris's 997 with Exe-TC and someone else pipped up about them being installed on 'their' rally cars, complete with the car being airbourne etc.

Looks like that the cars get raised by 10-25mm only so dont think a 'safari' 996 is possible

That green one looks awful imo. The 996 just doesn't look right raised, unlike the G chassis cars.

If you insist: you could raise the suspension easy.

This is a freelander 40mm lift kit:

Freelander-Lift-Kit.jpg

http://www.alservices.co.uk/freelander-lift-kit/

Its what you fit to go offroad in a freelander, they just bolt to the struts above the top mounts.

You could easily make something similar for a 996. Hell, the freelander ones might fit!

Then you would just need to work out suspension arm length to keep camber and toe correct.

If you have GT3 lower arms you could knock up some spacers for them.

Longer adjustable rear toe arms are easy to make (see other threads on here from people making them to lower cars).

------------

Why not just swap your GT3 for a non m030 carrera? Or a macan?

I don't see why it would be a big deal to drop the subframes to keep suspension geometry sensible and fit a spacer above the top mounts. Rear engine mounts would be the most obvious awkward thing, but if the entire engine and subframes could be dropped it would make it easier than just going for crazy suspension angles. This wouldn't help with ground clearance under the engine though. Front is easier to just drop subframe and add spacers.

MC

Looking at Google image search there is no shortage of 996 rally cars, but they all seem to be at roughly standard suspension height.

img_1315_3__c37a9d35347d78301cf791e61a638700522261f7.jpg

Which are cool, but too similar to the road going version (bar all the stickers) for it to make sense to me.

I'd aim for a 996 Safari Rally, which would need a significant lift.

To do it right is going to mean making your own suspension components and driveshafts I suspect.

Another option...[/img]

Attachments

• fb_img_15450366842805807_182.jpg
    fb_img_15450366842805807_182.jpg
    595.1 KB · Views: 2,005
Whats the smallest wheels you could fit on a C2?

WIth 16's i guess you could fit some chunky tyres and lift it to make it look like a safari type

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R6demon
Back