Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service Parts

roboxm3

With Christmas fast approaching and relatives badgering me for present ideas, I think I'm just going to produce a list of all the service parts required for the 45k-er.

I've got the following on the list so far: -

Oil
Oil Filter
Air Filter
Cabin Filter
Spark Plugs
Coil Packs
Gearbox Oil
Coolant

Is there anything else I should add to the 'big service' list that I haven't got?

Should I do plug tubes / seals (whatever the hell they are)?

Is a precautionary 45k water pump a good idea?

Just to clarify, I won't be putting the big stuff on the list but I'm happy to revceive nicely wrapped plugs and filters :grin:

Need to know what model / year Car you have .

Coils packs .. if not corroded / cracked then they dont need replacing .

Plug tubes are only on certain models .

Gearbox oil seems early on that milage but what year ?

Drive belt is at 6 years .

Coolant .. there is NO Porsche specified coolant change .. if it reads -30 degrees C when tested then it doesnt need more coolant or a change.

Water pump .. remove the drive belt and check for play .. if nothing then dont change .

If a 987 then front crossover pipes .

If a 986 then a good inspection of the roof system .. rods being prone to failure .

car details please young man :D

Yes, the actual car I'm intending to service, I can see now how that might help... :D

It's a 2004 986 S.

I did the oil and filters, discs and pads at 35k when I bought the car last May, since then I've also done the CV boots (one had split), replaced a cracked coil pack, replaced the brake pipes (Kunifer), braided brake hoses and thart's it I think...

I'll add the belt to the list and I suppose I'll have to wait and see how the water pump and other pulleys look while we're in there.

Is there anything specifi to look out for on the roof?
I do keep an eye on the clamshell runners and make sure they're clean/greased and to be honest, everything under there looks pretty clean and it works fine.

Starting with the coils .. if a crack then water can get in so a replacement is warrented .. if no crack then its fine .. it does its job and can be left alone .

Im pretty sure by that model you dont have plug tubes but without looking at the car or a picture i cant be sure (i work on all Porsches ) and have a memory like a sieve !

Replace the belt every 6 years so check history or look for cracks in it.

Water pump .. your choice but if no play then i would tend to leave it .

Spin all the pullys whilst belt is off .. any noise (whineing ) then replace ... ignore the pas pump .. that always sounds wierd !

Roof .. if the rods have red plastic ends then its probably better to replace as they are original to the car and old .. white is the new ones .

Again look at the rubber bushes at the other end of the rod .. if totally shagged (best desription i can give ) then replace .

lubricate the runners for the clam shell (the lid ) and the pins each side ... they point downwards and into a plastic sleeve .

Check the carpet each side behind the seats .. if damp then clean out the rear drains under the roof .. in fact clean them out anyways .

Use Gummi fledge on the rear roof rubber to stop noises .. again on the front section and on the rubber seals .

Use rain x on the windows .. put it onto the glass were it touches the top window rubber .. you apply it wet and leave to dry .

If a tip then i would highly recomend an oil / filter change .

Remove the L shaped panel n/s and center to the car .. have a good look at the brake pipes .. if heavily corroded then they need repair / replacement .. if ok then bury them in waxoil or similar .. do the same for any brake pipe / coolant pipe you can .

I think that covers the basics :D

Thanks for that deMort, much appreciated and I've learned something new...

I'd never heard of the roof rods before but I shall have a look now, make sure my ends aren't shagged :mrgreen:

I think my motor does sound a bit whiney but it's my first Boxster, so I'm not used to having an engine right by my ear hole but I'll be sure to check the rollers properly.

Going on what you've said, coils should be good and the brake pipes are all sorted and waxoyled for good measure as well.

Dependant on whether yours has a fuel filter (as some are built in the tank), I'd change that. I change mine every couple of years and they're not expensive.

I do have a fuel filter, I bought that for the 'new car service' at 35k...that was before I learned that I had the in-tank type filter...

:grin:

I blame Euro Car Parts, their site listed one for my car by registration and I was in a roll :D

Luckily my dad's got a 2000 2.7, so it won't go to waste...

Any update on your SSK kits yet Alex? With the savings I've made not needing to do the coils :?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back