Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

IMS data collection update - 132 cars (Page 3)

They're %s that are reported in my data so production numbers are irrelevant.

alex yates said:
They're %s that are reported in my data so production numbers are irrelevant.

Agreed, and I have to say the data is fantastic - chapeau.

And we must also agree the data collected here cannot represent the wider European/global 996 market as a whole.

911UK members, participating in this data or not, would do well to keep that in mind and consider the context - always.

:thumbs: thank you.

Griffter said:
Anecdotally it's always seemed to me that 97-99 engines are most at risk from IMS

You're labouring under the wrong impression. The 97-99 engines are the 3.4 ones with twin-row IMS bearings that have an incredibly low failure rate when compared to the later single row bearing engines. It's very much accepted best practice now to simply remove the grease cover to allow splash lubrication from oil on these bearings rather than to replace them provided they are showing no signs of wear, just as Alex has done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back