Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Good News....

Milo72

Being a bad impulsive buyer I bought the car without having its bores checked. I finally had the courage and booked it in and everything is all ok. Seems my chocolate engine isn't ready to melt just yet...

They did find corroded brake pipes which means an engine drop as it's the one over the engine :( not sure if that's an engine out or just lowered a bit.

Milo72 said:
Being a bad impulsive buyer I bought the car without having its bores checked. I finally had the courage and booked it in and everything is all ok. Seems my chocolate engine isn't ready to melt just yet...

They did find corroded brake pipes which means an engine drop as it's the one over the engine :( not sure if that's an engine out or just lowered a bit.

Great news! :thumb:

I believe you can avoid an engine drop by putting a joint in the replacement pipe

I did wonder if there was a cheaper option rather than dropping the engine.

The Porsche way is to replace the whole part and that would be the only option at opc. It is a solid lump with no join. However they rarely corrode over the engine as it is dry. I would suggest cutting out the corroded part and joining as Kas750 suggests. Then when you have a real reason to drop the engine in the future replace it with the genuine part.

Milo72 said:

Great news :thumb:

Yes I believe if the corroded section is accessible then you can avoid dropping the engine by cutting out the bad section and fitting a new piece of pipe using compression joints, perfectly acceptable solution :thumb:

:goodjob:

I see you are in Bucks Milo72... me too :bye:

I just wondered which garage you used for your bore-scoping?

Now you can relax for a while and enjoy the ride!

Thank you all... I will suggest the join and see what they say, would rather that if possible. They said they had put a flexible pipe over a gen 2 but there was more space there than in mine with a tip box.

I don't want to bodge it, but equally if there is a good work around solution significantly cheaper then would be mad not to try it.

Tony... I went to RPM Technik in Cheddington, I have to say they were fantastic. Would recommend them to anyone.

There is nothing wrong with a cut and join on brake pipes .. hell ive just done it on my wifes car .. best not to tell her that though :D

It all depends on where the corrosion actually is .. you need a decent straight section of pipe each end of the corrosion to be able to do this .. you also need access and if its above the gearbox then obviously you dont have this .

You cant really just lower an engine on these cars .. maybe 2 inches but thats it .

997 corrosion on brake pipes is a little unusual but i guess they are not getting any younger .. sigh .

The corrosion was certainly under the underside panel on the passenger side midway along the car... I can't remeber him showing any further corrosion further back other than on the callipers. Is it a single section of pipe from the O/S rear wheel to that mid point section ?

Milo72 said:
The corrosion was certainly under the underside panel on the passenger side midway along the car... I can't remeber him showing any further corrosion further back other than on the callipers. Is it a single section of pipe from the O/S rear wheel to that mid point section ?

That does sound like a cut / join may well be possible .. without pictures i cant say for sure .. but your garage should be able to say .

There is a connection block in that area .. then its a single pipe to o/s/r and n/s /r

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back