Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Replaced Earth Strap - Longeviity?

Jam911

I had the earth strap replaced a few years ago and the hot starting was fine.

Now it is hot starting / slow crank is returning and I wanted to get thoughts on how long a new earth strap would last until it starts corroding again?

Thanks

Jam911 said:

Now it is hot starting / slow crank is returning and I wanted to get thoughts on how long a new earth strap would last until it starts corroding again?

Thanks

I guess a few years?! :mrgreen:

Jam911 said:

Thanks

I could well be something else, battery or the power distribution pin, see here for DeMorts thread:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=118716&highlight=distribution+pin

Im afraid ive never replaced a battery earth lead for any problem since they first came out .. the usual problem on these for slow cranking is starter lead followed by starter motor followed by battery power dist. box corroded pin .

How long would a rather large copper wire do its job though .. hmm .. at a guess about 20 years :)

Okay it is probably the battery.

It is an OPC one and was installed 7.5 years ago.

Jam911 said:
Okay it is probably the battery.

It is an OPC one and was installed 7.5 years ago.

Ladies and gentleman .. we have a new record .. not only has a Porsche battery lasted longer than 3 years .. it has reached 7.5 years !!!

Sorry .. i couldn,t help it ... chocolate batterys and thats pretty good going for one of these .. get a Bosch one fitted .. 780 EN .

You know its bad when an ex - OPC mech makes comments like this on their batterys !

Ha brilliant, I will.

It's like when I said I got 40 k from my rear tyres....

This place will go into meltdown when I finally have to replace my discs and pads...and then post the mileage.

I do lots of motorway miles in my defence and when my friend suggested that I get a Nissan Leaf and put the 997 in the garage to keep the value in it.

I said I would rather die than not drive my car all year round on all trips, short or long.

Jam911 said:
I said I would rather die than not drive my car all year round on all trips, short or long.

Excellent .. keeps me employed and you happy .. a win .. win :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back