Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OPC washed it when told not to - common experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...as good an example of a First World Problem as you'd find :thumb:

GMG said:
...as good an example of a First World Problem as you'd find :thumb:

A bit harsh but you're entitled to your opinion. Don't expect everyone to agree with me but interesting it evokes such strong feelings in others. As I tried to convey, it's not the fact that it happened it's the conscious decision to ignore my polite but clear instructions and not apologise which I found baffling and brazen.

This would piss me off as well. I have spent a lot of money to get it painted and then paint corrected and PPF on it and I always put a sign asking not to wash. Luckily this hasn't happened to me.

isysman said:
This would piss me off as well. I have spent a lot of money to get it painted and then paint corrected and PPF on it and I always put a sign asking not to wash. Luckily this hasn't happened to me.

If it has been PPF'd that would have been really frustrating. I've considered PPF, take it you are a fan?

Can i just ask a serious question here and it is actually for knowledge ..

If someone hoses down a car / washes off dirt with a hose .. is it actually any different from it being driven in the rain ?

I dont really know about detailing .. sorry .. but it seems the same to me .

Anyways .. to answer your question .. No they should not have washed it .. it was an instruction from you and unlike dont move my seat .. which i have been told before ( i replyed then the customer needs to drive it onto the ramp and off again as im not 6 ft 3 inches ) then its something that is reasonable to follow .

Mistakes happen .. an apology is warrented but im unsure how this effects a detailing and if it needs redoing after being hosed down ..

Logically if a garage damages something then they pay for the repair .. i can only assume this falls into that category in which case they pay damages .

RB79 said:
isysman said:

If it has been PPF'd that would have been really frustrating. I've considered PPF, take it you are a fan?

Yes it's great. I only had the front end done but I wish I'd had the rest completed. Will get it done in the new year most likely.

deMort said:

If someone hoses down a car / washes off dirt with a hose .. is it actually any different from it being driven in the rain ?

Anyways .. to answer your question .. No they should not have washed it .. it was an instruction from you and unlike dont move my seat .. which i have been told before ( i replyed then the customer needs to drive it onto the ramp and off again as im not 6 ft 3 inches ) then its something that is reasonable to follow .

Mistakes happen .. an apology is warrented but im unsure how this effects a detailing and if it needs redoing after being hosed down ..

Logically if a garage damages something then they pay for the repair .. i can only assume this falls into that category in which case they pay damages .

I think the OP is saying they have washed it, and not just hosed down, let's face it they wouldn't just hose it down! I'm amazed at the lack of knowledge at OPC's regarding detailing, it's so simple that normal methods are obviously going to introduce swirls immediately, and as someone has said it's hard work/time and money to remove them :x
For those of us with serious OCD it's a nightmare :nooo:

deMort said:

As you can tell I'm a bit of a geek about my car and it almost certainly wasn't just hosed down. It smells of 'bubblegum' and has had some wax type substance rubbed across it. Obviously I haven't got CCTV etc to prove it but I know it's not just water and the fact he has been so brazen about the hosing makes me suspicious anyway.
Also, I don't just hose down with a high pressure washer to start with and it is snow foamed and decontaminated first to not just push any grit across it.l but everyone has a different washing routine.
You're right of course that cars are exposed to the elements but driving a detailed car in normal rain doesn't damage the ceramic coating and is not a
high enough pressure to scratch it and the water should bead and run off.

Waiting for some forum abuse now.....:)

Aghh okies then .. well for me its simple , if damge has occured through what ever means then the garage is liable to correct the issue .. wether it is a scratch (we try but it can happen and in this case its normally fixed before you even pick the car up ) or in this case it needs redetailing .

I can say the car wash at OPC is pretty dam expensive and designed to not cause the usual supermarket scratches to paint work .

EDIT

Just to say from me its black and white and i would never abuse anyone :D

I'd like to think that unless the 'valeter' had gone at it with Gandhi's slipper the ceramic coating should have prevented any form of swirling being introduced?

I get the frustration at the lacklustre attitude of the dealership but assuming the above I'd be inclined to not give it anymore of my time.

m119cars said:
I'd like to think that unless the 'valeter' had gone at it with Gandhi's slipper the ceramic coating should have prevented any form of swirling being introduced?

I get the frustration at the lacklustre attitude of the dealership but assuming the above I'd be inclined to not give it anymore of my time.

I've never known a valeter to be gentle so unfortunately, under my garage lights, it is marred with swirls. Ceramic coating itself does not prevent swirls but helps protect the corected paint finish which is all down to washing technique. To be obsessive , it would now need the ceramic coat removing chemically and repolishing / sanding before reapplying. I take your point about deciding how far to push it, I guess I am stubborn git. Good job it isn't black like my previous C2S!

To be fair to the Op I'd feel the same....some people's standards and principles are different and to some this would be a very small deal, but I'd be pissed off too. I'm slightly OCD with car paintwork and always tell the dealer not to wash....I think the Op has every right to feel the way he does and I would expect better from a main dealer.

BChivs said:
To be fair to the Op I'd feel the same....some people's standards and principles are different and to some this would be a very small deal, but I'd be pissed off too. I'm slightly OCD with car paintwork and always tell the dealer not to wash....I think the Op has every right to feel the way he does and I would expect better from a main dealer.

I appreciate a similar minded paint obsessive type and completely
agree that I'd never expect everyone to feel the same - amazing how powerful a word 'sorry' is especially when you don't hear it.

Fully agree with BChivs and RB79 I think you have every right to be annoyed; good luck with getting it sorted.

Counter Of Beans said:
Fully agree with BChivs and RB79 I think you have every right to be annoyed; good luck with getting it sorted.

Thank you, appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclassicauto
Back