Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porshce 911 (992) Terrible Design - In My Opinion

REKX

Hi Guys,

I have seen the 992 and from the front it is exactly the same as the previous generations.

I want to upgrade from the 997 looks, which is or was fine for the price and time. But I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount of money to get a car which looks the same. Anyone else feel that way?

I actually prefer the looks of the latest Cayman, and it is so cheap but I can't get it because I need at least four seats.

Every other car manufacturer improves the looks of a model significantly. Like my current daily is a 640d, the new 8 series (successor to 6 series as 6 series is being stopped) has a marked improvement from all corners visually from my current model. The visual improvement makes me want to buy the 8 series in the future.

The front of the 992 looks exactly the same as the 991. Does anybody else feel that way? The car will be excellent to drive, I know I've had 911 for a few years, but design is also a feature and I'm not happy that it's not changing at all.

Anyone else?

Generally speaking, all Porsche look the same. It is only owners and enthusiast that can tell the differences between each generation.

benbuhagiar said:
Generally speaking, all Porsche look the same. It is only owners and enthusiast that can tell the differences between each generation.

Yes I can recognise the different models of 911, however I wouldn't say all Porsche look the same.

The Cayman has a far more modern design language, sharper lines and modern looks. The 911 looks dated now from the front, from the back it is all good for me.

We need a more aggressive looking front end, the VW beetle soft looking design is keeping it back.

I've already paid for a car which looks like the 992, I don't want to buy another one which looks the same.

So we're stuck for another 7 years with the same design.

REKX said:
I have seen the 992 and from the front it is exactly the same as the previous generations.

The front of the 992 looks exactly the same as the 991. Does anybody else feel that way? The car will be excellent to drive, I know I've had 911 for a few years, but design is also a feature and I'm not happy that it's not changing at all.

Anyone else?

I agree that the 997, 991 and 992 are very similar from the front but I'm not complaining.

Look what happened in 1998 when somebody with a lot more influence than us fancied a change. :D

ps. I don't think your revised spelling of Porsche will catch on either. :wink:

If it ain't broke...

Look at the trouble BMW had when Chris Bangle changed the BMW designs with the 'flame surfaced' nonsense. Everyone hated them.

My dad, a Jag man through and through, dislikes the new XJ because it represents a big departure from the grace of the old designs which had a clear relationship to the old XJ6. Judging by the lack of sales, he is not alone...

The new Aston Vantage front has gone down like a lead balloon. And what were the LR designers thinking when they did the back of the new Discovery.

A 911 needs to look like a 911. The round single bug-eyed headlights are a design signature, but look more friendly than aggressive. I would imagine the 992 with aerokit as and when the GT3 comes out will look great.

REKX said:

Anyone else?

I'm sure there maybe some that share your thoughts, I'm not one of them by the way.
A 911, to me, has to look like a 911. Porsche have other models in their current line up to tweak the design that little bit further, but I wouldn't want to see over fifty years of history designed out.

Buy something else. :dont know:

911s all tend to look the same? Amen to that! I like the idea that someone who bought a brand new 911 from the showroom in 1963, would still recognise a 911 built half a century later. That's half the fun for me. I see car manufacturers struggling to make their facelifted euro boxes look a bit sexier with ever more daft angles and slashes in bodywork, peculiar lights etc etc and it just leaves me cold. The 911 is what it is and three cheers for that!
:thumb:
Rick

It's a 911, so it's going to (has to) ressemble its predecessor. I like it, not that I can afford one. Re the Cayman, I have a 981S on which I think the front looks better than a 718, but I prefer the rear of a 718.
Look what happened when they tried something different on the 996 (had a turbo so I 'm ok with that too).

Let the poor bloke have his opinion, seems he's getting the GMG treatment for saying what he thnks :grin:

I like the front but not so much the back...the total opposite to how I like my women :hand:

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
Let the poor bloke have his opinion, seems he's getting the GMG treatment for saying what he thnks :grin:

........... said the 996 owner :grin:

I haven't seen a 911 I don't like. (Aside from when the aftermarket nutters go crazy)
I think the 992 looks great. It's an impossible job to continually evolve an icon and keep everyone happy. I love the arse end myself. But then I like big b**s and I cannot lie. 😃

My opinion is precisely the opposite of yours, REKX. I like the front simply because it hasn't changed much, whereas I think they have messed around too much with the back, and I don't like it.
The 911 has something that most cars don't have: heritage. Porsche know this and would be crazy to chuck it away. You have to keep your USP otherwise it becomes "just another fast car".

Personally I think they changed it too much, the 991 was about perfect, although I do like the new centre console :thumb:

I've put a £5k deposit down on a 992 I'm not sure about the rear and will make a final decision once I've seen one in the flesh,if we don't think it warrants the extra cost over our 991.2 C4S I'll keep it.
We'll wait and see.
SteveW

Attachments

• f23c0539_324d_4f69_91b9_7b91f6715fe6_623.jpeg
    f23c0539_324d_4f69_91b9_7b91f6715fe6_623.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12,502

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage