Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Lovely example of a 997.1 Turbo Manual in the classifieds

911TEL said:
Alfaian said:
a1butch said:
I've only recently bought my c2s and already think I should have gone turbo. :sad:

You would soon start crying when the bills came in :grin:

Strange comment , the bills are just the same as for your C2 S ........

My only 'big' bill was a recent PDK gearbox oil service = 600+vat ......not bad at all for a Supercar .......
Not a tear was shed ......

😎

I've often heard this but apart from the turbo components, intercooler etc they are basically just the same car?
Add the reliability of the engine and it's just down to initial outlay?

Had my c2 s for a year now & cost me buttons.
Acquaintance of mine has a turbo. Not sure as to his running costs but had a passenger ride in his recently & scared me shitless!
Id trade up to a gt3 on basis of info I've read rather than a turbo but no idea of running costs. must be relative to purchase cost...

997 turbos are starting to look like great value at the moment. I would really struggle to justify a facelift non-turbo car over a pre facelift turbo for the same cash. The 997 turbo is crazy fast straight out of the box and can be made ridiculous if the mood takes you. I just wish I had had my 911 cash a couple of years earlier as I'd be in a 996 turbo for sure.

Historically turbos have great residuals too.

tom_nieto said:
997 turbos are starting to look like great value at the moment. I would really struggle to justify a facelift non-turbo car over a pre facelift turbo for the same cash. The 997 turbo is crazy fast straight out of the box and can be made ridiculous if the mood takes you. I just wish I had had my 911 cash a couple of years earlier as I'd be in a 996 turbo for sure.

Historically turbos have great residuals too.

Tempted at the moment looking at the advert in the OP - doing the man maths for a 997.2 C4S (not a huge fan of the 991.1 C4/C4S). Think the 997.2 would feel too similar to my current car in performance terms. Which leaves me with the Turbo or buying a non Porsche 4WD as a second car for the Scottish winter.

I jumped after a break from a 997 C4S, a Cayman S, then a 997.2 C4S with PSE, for the money it felt very similar, and I missed the noise of the Gen 1 and was not so keen on the DFI unit, so next move was a 997.1 Turbo and a few mods, it's a weekend car and have a beater. The turbo needs springs, DSC controller and a choice exhaust. So ensure you have a few grand set aside, all IMO of course. Also, set aside money for some of the oil lines to be replaced and possibly the Tandem pump or cover, and new condensers if not already fitted. Drive a Gen 2 C4S then a Turbo, it's a very difference experience, both good, just depends on how 'polished' you want the experience I guess :) The Turbo does feel light at high speeds to me, and has felt as if it's bouncing at the front under hard braking, but hope the Techart springs, DSC + alignment will improve. Have fun hunting :thumb:

I noticed the price of said Turbo has increased to £48.500. Still a good price. I can see why the interior could put people off, it's not for everyone. I felt the same way about the interior on my Boxster but when I saw it in person I liked it. I'd still rather have had a black interior though.

keendean said:
I jumped after a break from a 997 C4S, a Cayman S, then a 997.2 C4S with PSE, for the money it felt very similar, and I missed the noise of the Gen 1 and was not so keen on the DFI unit, so next move was a 997.1 Turbo and a few mods, it's a weekend car and have a beater. The turbo needs springs, DSC controller and a choice exhaust. So ensure you have a few grand set aside, all IMO of course. Also, set aside money for some of the oil lines to be replaced and possibly the Tandem pump or cover, and new condensers if not already fitted. Drive a Gen 2 C4S then a Turbo, it's a very difference experience, both good, just depends on how 'polished' you want the experience I guess :) The Turbo does feel light at high speeds to me, and has felt as if it's bouncing at the front under hard braking, but hope the Techart springs, DSC + alignment will improve. Have fun hunting :thumb:

Have a big birthday coming up in 2 years so have already planned for that special car - the keeper. Although my current car was a keeper also 😍

What puts me off the older cars (have a 54 plate C2S) is the maintenance - coolant pipes, brake lines, door seals, radiators, coil packs etc. Spent a fortune on my car and now have it right (always looks mint from six feet away - but the money is spent on what you don't see). IMS was a relatively small bill that I got done as a precaution.

I guess if I had my time again I would have push my budget up and get a newer car. Interesting that you went from a 911 to Cayman and back. What did you think of the Cayman? Pity no AWD.

isysman said:
I noticed the price of said Turbo has increased to £48.500. Still a good price. I can see why the interior could put people off, it's not for everyone. I felt the same way about the interior on my Boxster but when I saw it in person I liked it. I'd still rather have had a black interior though.

Ironically I like the interior in your Boxster so much it's influenced my next purchase. I really like the dark dash/central and upper half look with something lighter below. I think it really lifts the interior. :thumbs:

SCPoster said:
keendean said:

Have a big birthday coming up in 2 years so have already planned for that special car - the keeper. Although my current car was a keeper also 😍

What puts me off the older cars (have a 54 plate C2S) is the maintenance - coolant pipes, brake lines, door seals, radiators, coil packs etc. Spent a fortune on my car and now have it right (always looks mint from six feet away - but the money is spent on what you don't see). IMS was a relatively small bill that I got done as a precaution.

I guess if I had my time again I would have push my budget up and get a newer car. Interesting that you went from a 911 to Cayman and back. What did you think of the Cayman? Pity no AWD.

I had a mix match of cars between the Gen 1 C4S & Cayman (RS3, Golf R), and I could never scratch the Porsche itch, so bought a Cayman S in the end on a whim off of PH, with the same alloys and colour as my Gen 1 997. The Gen 1 I thought was amazing, the Cayman for the money, was a tad more raw, but very very capable in the dry and had a Carnewal exhaust, and I was hooked. Very connected to the road and with a price tag under 18k I was wondering why people pay more for a 911. But, I then needed more seats, as more children arrived, and my skills in the wet with the Cayman were being tested, and it was my daily, and also to get my older son to school. When driving the Gen 2, I was a little underwhelmed at first, but liked the interior and two year Porsche warranty, but the Turbo hits the nail on the head. The additional costs worried me, but my Turbo had new crank oil seal, plugs, major, brakes all round including hoses, and was put through a 111 not long before I bought it. I bought the Turbo on my birthday, its a keeper, and don't put many miles on it. But, there is a list of jobs I'd like to over time get sorted, and will use Kev at DW for its service coming up. Never a cheap car to run, the older they get. Like any Porsche, get the best car, and looked after car you can afford at the time, they are all great :D

New997buyer said:
isysman said:

Ironically I like the interior in your Boxster so much it's influenced my next purchase. I really like the dark dash/central and upper half look with something lighter below. I think it really lifts the interior. :thumbs:

Woah..woah..Roll that one back sparky!!! :mrgreen:

News on a new motor then? :thumbs:

kas750 said:
New997buyer said:
isysman said:

Woah..woah..Roll that one back sparky!!! :mrgreen:

News on a new motor then? :thumbs:

:D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back