Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil pressure sender replacement

dt4

The pressure on the gauge is constantly high (off the scale high)
I would like to replace the sensor / sender, is this a straight forward job?

Does any one have a good spare I could buy to prove the sender being at fault

cheers

As per DM, it's the way to go!
Mine was reading 5 bar key in position one, I've just had it changed, I was told it was a simple job to replace. I also picked mine up from design911.

I think I paid £50 on eBay from one of the well known parts suppliers for a genuine Porsche one (don't think you can get pattern ones anyway).

Providing you have a narrow enough crows foot wrench its a very simple swap.

D911 do a 'URO brand' part for £41.95+VAT (-discount).

I would be surprised if Porsche had their own specific sender unit, it's rather an industry standard part, we need to find out where else it is used. Mind you it isn't very expensive and an alternative part may not be much cheaper.

Are there any manufacturer's marks on the old part?

I just replaced mine - as said above its very easy, using a crows-foot spanner to reach it from the underside, loosen it, then once unscrew it from the top by hand - obviously remove the two wires first!

I paid £55 (incl postage) for a genuine Porsche one (VDO manufacturer mark on the original and the new one) - got it sent by Silverstone OPC.
I would personally go for OEM, rather than save a fiver. (If there was a bigger differential, then it makes sense to consider alternatives)

Thanks for the tips chaps,
Could you advise on the crow foot spanner size please, I don't have one so will need to buy

cheers

You will need a 19mm crow-foot spanner.
As with all tools, you can pay lots or peanuts.

I got a cheapo silverline crow-foot spanner set for £12 off Amazon. As I haven't needed them before, so didn't want to spend a fortune, for tools I may only use once. I normally steer clear of cheap tools - these seem ok. Am sure they wouldnt take a lot of use/abuse.

Kingb4 said:
You will need a 19mm crow-foot spanner.
As with all tools, you can pay lots or peanuts.

I got a cheapo silverline crow-foot spanner set for £12 off Amazon. As I haven't needed them before, so didn't want to spend a fortune, for tools I may only use once. I normally steer clear of cheap tools - these seem ok. Am sure they wouldnt take a lot of use/abuse.

cheers, I will look them up

So got the car up the air to see how easy access was from underneath etc... not too difficult
Whilst looking at the sensor from the top I noticed one of the connectors was detached from the sensor.
Great I think it may have worked loose and thats the problem, simply reconnect and alls is well. Unfortunately not, reconnected and still the oil pressure is off the scale with the key at the first position and at idle

One of the connectors is crimped with heat shrink tubing rather than the OE block connector suggesting some previous connection "issues"

That sensor is for no oil pressure and the oil pressure gauge .. if a wire was unplugged but the gauge reads oil pressure then i assume the no oil pressure side was disconnected ... thats just a light on the cluster .

Replace the sensor and see what happens on the gauge .. its normally just this .

Heat shrink fix .. normally done as the wire is starting to come out of the connection (bare wires at the top of the connection ) .. you can replace the connection or heat shrink as in this case .

Thank you
Its looking pretty past it, can they be tested,

Attachments

• 1546790333269275330681_255.jpg
    1546790333269275330681_255.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 4,266
So I bought a new sender from design911 and fitted it tonight
Having never had a working gauge what should a good one show on start up ?

What reading are you getting now from the new sender?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back