Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tiptronic - oil change completed today.....

Design 911 have Castrol ATF Transmax listed at £9.50 a ltr and apparently that is the correct oil to use.

easternjets said:
Design 911 have Castrol ATF Transmax listed at £9.50 a ltr and apparently that is the correct oil to use.

There are nine variants of Castrol Transmax... :thumb:

D911 recommend the DEXIII for > 2002 vehicles, which meets MB-Approval 236.9.
So as the Gulf stuff exceeds that approval (just) you should be fine with either..

So.. just the front diff and brake fluid to tie down now! :D

The whole reason I got the notion to change my gearbox oil and check and renew seals etc was because I had my car checked over at Redline the other week. Their mechanic said I had a gearbox oil leak, nothing serious but it needed looking at.
So I jacked up the car dropped the tray and found a leak, it wasn't gearbox oil it was coolant from a pipe I'd disturbed the other week when I was changing the front rad.
Couldn't see any ATF oil anywhere just the pink coolant which as we know is the same colour as ATF oil.
So took the coolant pipe off which was going to cost £30 to replace, removed the old 'o' ring gave the coupling a good clean with a soft wire brush, fitted a new 'o' ring, smeared some waxoyl onto the aluminium and reinserted it into the system, job done.
Appears to have cured the gearbox oil leak as well!!

Hey shaunpr!

Are you still with us? If you are, could you give us an update on how your gearbox is performing after nearly 2 years?

I *cough* never did get around to changing my gearbox oil... I still have 12Ltr of Gulf ATF in the garage though.... :oops:

You need a filter , a sump gasket , oil and a bit of time .. its not a hard job and its one i would recomend .

Its a bit messy , ill not dispute that , the hardest part is getting the bolts undone .. if they all come out then jobs a good un and they normally do.

Sometimes you need to clean out the bolts with a pick to get a good" penetraition " with the socket.

This is one of those jobs that the longer you leave it the worse it can be .

Ally grease on the bolts when refitting is a good idea but only a smear on the threads .

refill .. you fill the box to the lvl .. it runs out .. then start the car , top up and leave it to run out .. at 30 - 40 degrees gearbox temp you refit the drain bolt / lvl bolt and your all done .

If no lazer gun then its about 8 mins of running from cold .

Instructions will be in the 996 faq download if needed .

What oil do you use Iain? Out of interest?

MB supplied 236.14 or something else?

There are x2 different tip units so it depends on which , one is an atf fluid the other an LH fluid .. im afraid i ask the parts guy and he tells me which type for which tip unit is fitted .

I dont know everything .. sorry :(

For anyone interested in doing this, I found that the following filter fits the 3.4 tiptronic ZF gearbox :
https://www.autodoc.co.uk/blue-print/15305845
It has a slightly different shape to the oem filter (no baffle at the end) but fits OK. It is the one used in the Boxster I believe, and looks like the one Design911 sell.
You get the gasket too, which can be more expensive than the filter when sold separately.

I used Valvolene ATF fluid which is to the LT71141 standard.

I didn't fancy doing it myself lying on my back in the wet with the hot engine just above my nose, so I got an indie to do the job.
The gear change definitely feels much smoother.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back