Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another lowered car rear camber issue post

MisterCorn said:
NedHan79 said:
Don't want to sound stingy but I've only bought the car and Christmas is on the doorstep

I thought Christmas was the time to buy yourself something nice that you didn't really need? This sounds ideal.

MC

I wish. I think the Mrs would have me living in the car. :hand:

infrasilver said:
I've probably done 20,000 miles on mine without a problem and those 20,000 are mostly all driven hard. At least there is some R&D on mine but the eBay ones are an unknown quantity.

Did you ever make a batch?

sim996 said:
I'll be lowering my car too. Any recommendations on adjustable toe arms? Do I really need to spend £500-£600?

See my links in the first post, if you need adjustable toe arms and several folk do not, they start from £215.
For the time saving and hope that the weather allows me to fit them before Xmas I've bought a pair, colour matches my car (ish,), they have boots fitted and 'Hardrace' parts get good reviews on Subaru sites etc so I've taken a chance.
It's an expense I really didn't want but I think it's the way to go, I could spend another £100 on a geo setup that doesn't work again which would be money wasted and still require adjustable toe arms, at least this way I will be able to get them within X74 spec (I hope).

Initial measurements takes on lumpy ground to wheel arch with springs having done 50 miles fitted are as follows:

FL 64.5 FR 63.5 cm
RL 63.5 RR 64.0 cm

On average from these readings it seems as if my C2 is 1cm Lower at the rear than Dammits car which has adjustable Ohlins struts, maybe this is my problem?
How do I correct it? Fit 1 cm spacers (possible and who does them?) or fit the adjustable toe arms and also 285/35R18's (11mm more radius than current 295/30R18) to increase the attitude?

Suggestions please.

Great info. I think you could use a male LH M14 rose joint with the 120mm turnbuckle then thread lock some hi-tensile threaded rod into the rod end. Unless you need to shorten the link, so a 100mm turnbuckle might do it.

Alex will knock you some spacers up.

I would look at tyre sizes before this and check the profile is correct etc.

911munKy said:
sim996 said:
I'll be lowering my car too. Any recommendations on adjustable toe arms? Do I really need to spend £500-£600?

See my links in the first post, if you need adjustable toe arms and several folk do not, they start from £215.
For the time saving and hope that the weather allows me to fit them before Xmas I've bought a pair, colour matches my car (ish,), they have boots fitted and 'Hardrace' parts get good reviews on Subaru sites etc so I've taken a chance.
It's an expense I really didn't want but I think it's the way to go, I could spend another £100 on a geo setup that doesn't work again which would be money wasted and still require adjustable toe arms, at least this way I will be able to get them within X74 spec (I hope).

Initial measurements takes on lumpy ground to wheel arch with springs having done 50 miles fitted are as follows:

FL 64.5 FR 63.5 cm
RL 63.5 RR 64.0 cm

On average from these readings it seems as if my C2 is 1cm Lower at the rear than Dammits car which has adjustable Ohlins struts, maybe this is my problem?
How do I correct it? Fit 1 cm spacers (possible and who does them?) or fit the adjustable toe arms and also 285/35R18's (11mm more radius than current 295/30R18) to increase the attitude?

Suggestions please.

Don't fit 285/35's.

The correct tyre sizes for 10" rims are 265/35/18 on Mk1 Carreras and 285/30/18 on Mk1 GT3 and mk2 Carreras.

I've gone for 285 on my Mk1 C2 as I'm using GT3 rims.
The 10" Carrera twists that came off have 265's on but they look too stretched to me. I prefer a squarer look and a touch more rim protection.

So barring the turnbuckles which I'm hoping Alex will help with, does this look like a definitive list?

Standard RH thread track rods -

TRW OEM PORSCHE BOXSTER 986 PORSCHE 911 996 997 TRACK TIE ROD END 996422812 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/350736102099

2x M14 x 1.5LH thread rosejoints -

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/m14...flm14x1-5-ultra-high-performance-rod-end-212/

2 pairs of M14-M12 high angle reducers -

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/m14-to-m12-rod-end-misalignment-reducers-pair-457/

Set of 4 M12 misalignment spacers -

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/m12-rod-end-misalignment-spacers-12mm-pack-of-4-390/

2x Rubber boots -

http://www.mcgillmotorsport.com/rodobal-rose-joint-rubber-dust-protection-sealing-boot-m14-632/

2x turnbuckles -

TBC - Hopefully Alex.

Nuts to lock turnbuckle ends-

2x M14 RH thread Stainless nuts
2x M14 LH thread Stainless nuts

Track rod ends - £54
Rose joints - £29
M14 to M12 reducers - £9
M12 Misalignment spacer - £3
Rose joint boots - £8
Lock nuts LH/RH thread - £5
2x Turnbuckles - £ TBC

£108 plus turnbuckles.

Like you did Infra, I'll be able to sell my 1000 mile old standard toe links and claw back £30-£40 I guess.

So thanks Infra! And Chris for the info in Infra's thread. That's a great saving.

:thumb:

PM sent.

I can knock up anything anyone wants, from Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Mild Steel, etc.

I've done various engine, brake and suspension parts for a few members and site sponsors.

To address the OP's problem, I would suggest take it to Paul devya Porsche or La rose Porsche both in sevenoaks they should be able to set up the x74 geo for you or give you a definite answer what you need to do. I suspect the kwikfit lads just don't quite know what they are doing before you blindly start throwing parts at it, by all means if that's what they then advise but from your description I doubt that's really the problem

Good spot Sim.

I've just bought a pair. £30.62. I'll probably gather the rest of the kit after Xmas now.

Thanks. :thumb:

Just got home tonight to find my Hardrace adjustable arms waiting for me, they look like a thing of beauty and appear to be really well made, very sturdy.

I'm going to find a flat piece of tarmac tomorrow and measure ride heights to see if that is contributing to the problem as the arch gap seems less in the rear so it may be sitting lower than X74 spec. I may require spacers if that's the case, there is not much weight at the front of my C2 without the spare wheel/tools so that may also be slightly high and I need to set the correct F/R attitude.

If all is ok though I'll hopefully fit the arms and get a geo done soon at a more experienced place than Kwikfit. (Asterisk - I'll give La Rose a call, thanks, I forgot about them).
Only fly in the ointment could be that our extension starts tomorrow and the pile drivers will take up the front of the house so I'll need to find a quiet area to carry out the work workload permitting.

I'll report back when I know more.

I think the mystery is that the X74 spec is different to lowering by -30mm, I don't think X74 does actually go the full 30mm? Mine is definitely lower than a GT3 and RS versions, 996 and 997, confirmed on various road trips, and they are supposed to be -30mm from a standard Carrera, mine is a few mm lower than those, hence the need to have cup car style rear toe arms.

Not exactly the most accurate check in the entire world, but I measured ground to base of wheel-arch for someone on here just after I had my new suspension fitted and they responded that it was -30mm from where their car sat (which was standard).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back