Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Hate to ask, However gen2 borescoreing vs a turbo?

Wow that's an aweful lot of eye watering parts to go wrong one after another. However like you say the car will now be 100% sorted for another decade not only 4 years 🤙
On the flip side £3k pa is peanuts- I shan't disclose how much I've thrown away in the 2 yrs since my 911 bouncing around from multiple cars. I too could have simply bought another 911.
Life's a learning curve and your new car looks absolutely 100% muts nuts mate! I mean ur old one was a looker, this is lush! :thumb:
Til 2019 my friend

Or you could compromise with a gen 2 3.6 carrera and cash for mods?

If a Turbocharger lunches itself you're looking at a 6k bill.

Thanks Andy, yep catch up in 2019 mate :thumb:

James M-S said:

Agreed. 345 BHP is more than enough for our roads. With a PDK gearbox, it does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds.

benbuhagiar said:
James M-S said:

Agreed. 345 BHP is more than enough for our roads. With a PDK gearbox, it does 0-60 in 4.7 seconds.

Ha, keep telling yourself that! I never pick a fight but I've had countless bikes and fast cars sitting aggressively on my tail. Soooo glad I had the turbo! :thumbs:

James M-S said:

That's what I did; bought a 3.6 Gen 2 then had calipers refurbed, Ohlins R&T fittted, Chrono retrofitted, Sport Design steering wheel and one or two other cosmetic bits done.
I test drove a Gen 2 Turbo and it was waaaay too fast for my limited talents, and more importantly the roads around here. I concluded the £85k price was a waste, since I'd either never use the performance, or would lose my licence, or would kill myself! As Ben says, 345 hp is more than enough in my opinion, although I may be in a minority there.
I understand your point Norfolk & Idea (great user name!) but I prefer to let aggressive drivers overtake or whatever; I don't want to get involved with some eejit in a RS/M/AMG/GTR/Ford Transit whose ego exceeds their intelligence. I am not at all fun at parties, as you might imagine! Bah humbug, in fact.

Counter Of Beans said:
James M-S said:

That's what I did; bought a 3.6 Gen 2 then had calipers refurbed, Ohlins R&T fittted, Chrono retrofitted, Sport Design steering wheel and one or two other cosmetic bits done.
I test drove a Gen 2 Turbo and it was waaaay too fast for my limited talents, and more importantly the roads around here. I concluded the £85k price was a waste, since I'd either never use the performance, or would lose my licence, or would kill myself! As Ben says, 345 hp is more than enough in my opinion, although I may be in a minority there.
I understand your point Norfolk & Idea (great user name!) but I prefer to let aggressive drivers overtake or whatever; I don't want to get involved with some eejit in a RS/M/AMG/GTR/Ford Transit whose ego exceeds their intelligence. I am not at all fun at parties, as you might imagine! Bah humbug, in fact.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think looking at the bhp number undersells the real world performance of these cars. I know it doesn't seem all that much these days, but in real world vs front engine/rear drive, I'd argue that you could add another 100bhp on the Porsche figure.
Although I've got the S I've gone up against 500bhp+ AMG C63 and on a spirited drive there is nothing in it. Even on long straights, it wasn't like they're pulling away at a rate of knots, at best it's walking away slowly.
So a 345bhp Gen 2 will give you enough modernity as far as the interior goes, a solid engine and enough performance to go up against 99% of the motoring population. You can't go wrong in my book

Norfolk & Idea said:
benbuhagiar said:
James M-S said:

Ha, keep telling yourself that! I never pick a fight but I've had countless bikes and fast cars sitting aggressively on my tail. Soooo glad I had the turbo! :thumbs:

:floor: :floor: Isn't that what the the baseball bat on the back seat is for :grin: :grin: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
benbuhagiar said:
James M-S said:

:floor: :floor: Isn't that what the the baseball bat on the back seat is for :grin: :grin: :thumb:

That's it Phil. But it's just a foam one :)

Norfolk & Idea said:
Phil 997 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:
benbuhagiar said:
James M-S said:

That's it Phil. But it's just a foam one :)

:floor: :floor: :floor: very good mate :thumb:

I'd love a turbo . The 997 turbo is such a superb looking car in both generations.

Counter Of Beans said:
James M-S said:

Totally agree. And the more people talk about driving pleasure, engagement, analogue feeling etc the more these cars come into their own. Probably even more so gen 1 than gen 2 but they are all fantastic cars AND there will always be something faster out there but who cares??!

Alfaian said:
I'd love a turbo . The 997 turbo is such a superb looking car in both generations.
Agree I love the looks of mine and when those turbos kick in it just makes you smile ear to ear!

But agree 911 all models are awesome, we are so lucky :thumb:

na vs turbo

Ive had both a 997.1 C4S and now a turbo. The NA car sounded a lot better with the PSE but the Turbo feels alot more special as you see a lot less on the road and is a hell of a lot faster. It is also very easy to mod, you can get a reliable 600hp with just a tune and an exhaust.

I bought the Turbo as an investment and i am hopeful that it will not depreciate.I made £6000 in 2 years on my C4S after it went on fire with an Insurance claim, so was happy with that. Hopefully the Turbo is less flammable.

I also drove the tiptronic (automatic) version as didn't like it

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back