Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Headlights- blissfully ignorant

Headlights

I paid a local body shop the princely sum of £75 to sort mine and clear coat them - without it the yellowing will return quickly.

They still look brand new 6 months on, on my daily drive.

4b4 said:
Mine are worse than your's at the start point - do you want a £150 to do mine? :p

sure if you dont mind me sanding away like a nutter :)

They look great. Mine are the early lights with the orange strip. I bought a kit on eBay. Advertised as auto cars Best Buy or something like that. Haven't done it yet though. I'd have the sand paper, polish and all other bits to do it but I didn't have a sealer. So I'm guessing I could've saved on the restoration kit and just sealed it with a coat of laquer which I'm sure I have.
The kit was cheap anyway so it's no big deal.

I'm glad to see your pictures as I'd be scared of the process but can now see how it goes.
Great job and well done. Makes it easier for the rest of us to take a chance and do it ourselves.

Also on the 'modern classic' head lights. I've only been chatting to a few people and 2 have already said not to go for the clear headlights. It looks like porsche fans are already warming to them as I would have thought mine were the least desirable of all.

Yes don't get rid of the ambers!

The process seems brutal (it needs to be to remove the OE top layer but each stage is progressively easier). Take it steady, be patient and thorough with each stage. Watch that you don't burn the plastic as it's a pain to sort out.

Invest in decent quality sanding discs, wipe them often, and don't persevere with a worn disc.

The 3M video explains it well.

Ambers it is. :wink:
I had a go at mine this afternoon. Used the kit which only has a little sand paper. When finished, I wasn't happy with the results so I buffed it with farclea g3 and then with meguirs ultimate polish. Made all the difference. I seem to have a dull finish inside the spot lamp section but the rest looks ok. I'll get the other 1 done in the next week or so.

I ended up buying extra sanding discs from a local Hardware shop.

Next time I would order 3M ones as the ones I got didn't last long.

Finally found this thread Swiss, I also found that I did register on this forum. The headlights were in a bad way before, I can only guess that the lacquer wasn't applied evenly which is why it'd disappeared in stripes.

In my defence though, I didn't realise my car had those headlights, I thought they would be about £250 each :lol: I was also blissfully ignorant! :dont know:

555 Paul said:
Finally found this thread Swiss, I also found that I did register on this forum. The headlights were in a bad way before, I can only guess that the lacquer wasn't applied evenly which is why it'd disappeared in stripes.

In my defence though, I didn't realise my car had those headlights, I thought they would be about £250 each :lol: I was also blissfully ignorant! :dont know:

:welcome: 555 Paul

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
555 Paul said:

:welcome: 555 Paul

:thumb:

Thanks for the welcome, I didn't realise that was my first post!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back