Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If Not A Porsche, Then What.....?

Les said:
Rhodris-dad said:
The biggest issue I have is all models look the same at first glance......even the fixed spoiler on the SVR is optional.

Most people would say that about a 911.

Agreed.....but I was looking at it from the perspective of an "enthusiast".......I can tell the difference between a base Carrera and a Turbo at first glance.

A lot of people can't tell the difference between a 997 and a 991.....but if you park them side by side........

Line up a few F-Types and hide the small badge on the grill :?: I would struggle.

To be fair, some people can't all the difference between a £15k 996 and a 2.7RS at what they're worth now, it I get your point.

So the turbo has gone. I waved goodbye last weekend. Now for the hard bit......

Gen2 turbos are out of reach as I've settled my budget as no more than £50k. I've floors and all that sort of stuff to buy over then next 12mths.

So what do I go for next? :?:

Congratulations on the sale Paul.

I think in your position I would be looking at a Cayman, either the last of the 981 in GTS spec or the 718 S and a trip to Ken at 9e.

Nice position to be in and a good time of year to get a great deal on something.

Best of luck with the search.

Wide field of choices Paul - provided you adopt the mindset that after a Turbo nothing at that price point will match the speed and velocity and power of a Turbo and is likely to be more GT than Sports car.

You know my thoughts on what to consider - the sound of an operatic aria of an Italian V8 is intoxicating - and don't believe all the words expressed by non-owners and the last orders at the pub conversation of "my mates dad's son-in-law had one and had to remortgage his house in the first year of ownership for the repair bills and poor reliability"

I'd always suggest that whatever you go for next - buy a good 'un. Buying a car that needs extra work rarely works out more cost-effective than buying one that doesn't need those works.

Its down to each person how and what they choose as their their next purchase.

Nissan GTR?

Thanks chaps. In many ways enjoying the process so let's see where it takes me :?:

The way of anything but Porsche lies madness! Porsche! Chum just bought a lovely 991 manual S for 50k, failing that a 981 Cayman GTS :thumb:

New997buyer said:

Gen2 turbos are out of reach as I've settled my budget as no more than £50k. I've floors and all that sort of stuff to buy over then next 12mths.

Mine :grin:

T8 said:
New997buyer said:

Mine :grin:

:floor:

Does this thread need updating Paul after what I've just read on Ady's thread? :chin:

alex yates said:
Does this thread need updating Paul after what I've just read on Ady's thread? :chin:

It does Alex

After much deliberation I decided there was nothing else in the £45-55k bracket that ticked all the boxes a 911 does.

Special enough for the 'look back' test? Check.
Autobahn storming? Check.
Twisties? Check.
Reliability? Check.
Trundling about? Check.
Heritage? Check.
Practicality? Check.

And so on. The closest to that list was Audi R8 V10 but that was just out of budget.

I considered a 981 Boxster. But I knew I'd still hanker after a 911. An aircooled or a 997.2 turbo also appealed, but the latter was also out if budget and the former meant buying a 986 Boxster as well. More scope creep.

So in the end I settled on what I knew and still loved. A 997.1 turbo :thumbs:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back