Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport Design Steering Wheel + Sport Chrono

318touring

For those who have a Sports Design Wheel (paddle shifters) with Sport Chrono and Launch Control indicators on the left and right side of the wheel, are they visible when none of the Sport Chrono function has been activated?

I don't have Sports Chrono and wondering how annoying it will be if I installed a 2nd hand steering wheel with these indicators and literally getting reminded that the original owner cheaped out.

Or I could either retrofit Sports Chrono or wait for buy a steering wheel without these indicators.

It's barely visible with no modes selected, but if you can afford to retrofit sportschrono+ I would highly recommend it (if you have PDK), I'm always in Sport or if I don't need 7th gear Sports+

Agree with the above.

You can barely see the text when the Sport/Sport+ buttons are off. But well worth fitting Chrono+ - I believe you can do this without the dash mounted timer.

I spend most of my time in Sport+ (manual mode) now. The car is so much more alive that way.

Im not sure im answering the question correctly but ..

If you retrofit a sports chrono wheel with launch contol light then it will not illuminate .. it only works if a factory fit .. retro and it wont illuminate .

Sports light will work however .

DeMort, is coding required or should that "sport" illumination happen automatically?
I've had sport chrono retrofitted but neither of the two lights on the steering wheel come on when I select Sport or Sport + (car's a 997.2).
Cheers, Mike.

As above....

I did not even notice the text was on the wheel until I pressed the 'Sport' button - it is very discreet

Excellent, thanks for the feedback. It's easier to retrofit the steering wheel compared to Sports Chrono due to the OPC's reluctance to do any retrofitting.

Counter Of Beans said:
DeMort, is coding required or should that "sport" illumination happen automatically?
I've had sport chrono retrofitted but neither of the two lights on the steering wheel come on when I select Sport or Sport + (car's a 997.2).
Cheers, Mike.

I have a retrofit and neither illuminate unsure if coded as was fitted by previous owner.

I recall reading somewhere that whether the wheel lights up or not depends on when the car was made. Apparently pre 2010/2011 cars do not light up. Mine is a 2008 PDK and it doesn't. So I left it at that.

The sports design wheel for me is such an improvement on the old MF wheel.

Agree on the appearance of the Sports Design wheel; it's very nice.
I have had Sports Chrono (without the dashboard "wart") retrofitted by the local OPC. How do I get the lights on the wheel to illuminate (not that important but I'm curious)? It's a 2011 Gen 2 by the way.

davenice said:
I recall reading somewhere that whether the wheel lights up or not depends on when the car was made. Apparently pre 2010/2011 cars do not light up. Mine is a 2008 PDK and it doesn't. So I left it at that.

I can concur to this. My 2009 car does not illuminate the lights on the wheel. I asked an OPC to see if they could enable it in PWIS, but they told me it was already enabled and said the lights only activated on post 2010 cars.

Rich_r said:
davenice said:

I can concur to this. My 2009 car does not illuminate the lights on the wheel. I asked an OPC to see if they could enable it in PWIS, but they told me it was already enabled and said the lights only activated on post 2010 cars.

+1 with my 2009 C4S :thumb:

I can categorically confirm that steering wheel with paddle shift and sports chrono indicators from 2015 991.1 will fit 997.2 (2010) with no sports chrono.

318touring said:
Excellent, thanks for the feedback. It's easier to retrofit the steering wheel compared to Sports Chrono due to the OPC's reluctance to do any retrofitting.

Hi there, might just be an isolated bad experience at an OPC you've visited as my local OPC in Swindon have been as good as gold. I've retrofitted the Sports Option, New Steering Wheel, Gearlevel and Handbrake etc..

msaif996 said:
318touring said:

Hi there, might just be an isolated bad experience at an OPC you've visited as my local OPC in Swindon have been as good as gold. I've retrofitted the Sports Option, New Steering Wheel, Gearlevel and Handbrake etc..

I am actually in Wellington, New Zealand and we only have one OPC so there is no other choice unfortunately.

They might not have the experience needed to deal with retrofit as they might only see one or two per year unlike OPCs at bigger cities who might have done different retrofit differently.

Even my indy has to send cars to this OPC for coding as their PIWIS can't deal with newer cars.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back