Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New (to me) 2008 957 cayenne turbo

Almost 2 months into ownership and time for a few more updates. Had the Propshaft bearing go last week but managed to get that fixed quickly (separate thread on this). I'm still struggling to get comfortable with the seats (am on the lookout for some GTS seats) but fortunately my wife drives this car more than me.

The steering wheel was in need of a refurb but I managed to find an almost new Turbo S wheel. I think this was an option on the std models but I always see it on the Turbo S. Anyway, it's thicker than the std and feels so much nicer. There are lots of nice wheels out there but I wanted to keep something close to stock. Have had it sitting in the corner for a month but finally fitted it today. Was avoiding it because access to the battery is a complete pain in the arse on these cars. First time I've ever unbolted a seat to access the neg terminal.

Thought I had F##Ked up when I started it back up only to find a PSM and suspension fault warning but both cleared within 50m on driving. Think they just require a few revolutions on the wheels to get calibrated again.

Can post a step by step guide to replacing the wheel/removing the airbag if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• d2710bd7_00b4_47ac_8cc6_73355df7a087_546.jpeg
    d2710bd7_00b4_47ac_8cc6_73355df7a087_546.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 12,793
  • b60b5758_065b_4ee9_811f_3fd51db93496_162.jpeg
    b60b5758_065b_4ee9_811f_3fd51db93496_162.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12,793
  • 9d3813f7_fb10_46bc_86d0_75f07ed8a44e_162.jpeg
    9d3813f7_fb10_46bc_86d0_75f07ed8a44e_162.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12,793
Have done about 4000 miles since buying and no other issues to report other than the boot hatch struts are failing. Bought some new struts last week but I`ve been too busy to fit them.

Had kind of forgotten about the PDCC whirring noise. Had autofarm and a local Porsche OPC both take a look and they looked at me as if to say "what the hell am I on about". Basically its just the normal sound.

I`ve played around with the seat setting a bit more and found a more comfortable set it. Its a different seating position to the Ranger Rover where you are higher up (a little more bus driver then sport car).

My wife loves driving it but she is starting to talk about a Mecan so will take a proper look at those over the xmas break. If so, then I`ll sell this and go back to a Rangie as we still need a decent sized family car.

I`d recommend them as they are a lot of fun. Not the most practical for the school run (which ours has mainly be used for) given its poor economy. They are a hell of a lot of car for the money. :thumb:

Thanks for the reply.

We have a TDV8 Rangie Sport as the daily workhorse for the family and dogs. I love it - so comfortable and capable. We get about 19mpg combined in that.

There's a suspicion of a sticky turbo actuator problem developing on it though and my wife is on about changing. We've always liked the cayenne though and I keep coming back to them.

Not that the grass is always greener though, I'm aware these cars have their own peccadillos, but wonder just how common the problems are, in particular the engine issues.

:thumb:

Im a bit of a fan of the Cayenne .. it comes second on my list after the Boxster though :D and thats money no option and any Porsche so you kinda see i rate it pretty high !

Downside of the Turbo is always going to be fuel econemy .. but unless you want a rocket ship then you dont have to get a Turbo version .. dare i say it the 3.0 diesel engine isnt that bad .

Why do i like them ?? i had the pleasure of a training course driveing them off road .. OMG is all i can say .. a 45 degree angle so i was looking out the passenger window and all i could see was the grass .. hill holding .. hell we stopped on a hill faceing upwards ... no handbrake , in gear , then i tryed to get out of the drivers side to swop with another guy .. i couldnt get the dam door open far enough due the the gradient we were on lol .

Awsome cars off road and thats the first gen Cayenne .. my lasting impression of that day is why dont farmers buy these .. the off road performance was impressive and the cost is compairable to a range rover or a land rover .

Issues .. no set ones ( depending on what engine ) but i will say you need to keep an eye out for water leaks inside .. ill go into detais if you need it but just to say a lot of the wiring is under the carpet .

Enjoying this, please keep it up!

I am on the hunt for a GTS that ticks all the boxes, still undecided on getting one with air or springs, I like the hassle free idea of springs but I hear a lot of good words in regard to the air and I like the idea of an extra option to play with.

ragpicker said:
Not that the grass is always greener though, I'm aware these cars have their own peccadillos, but wonder just how common the problems are, in particular the engine issues.

I wouldn`t class these cars as having issues generally but you need to be careful when purchasing. They are at a level now where some people buying them can`t necessarily afford to maintain them properly. Thats probably more comment with the pre-facelift sub £10k cars.

I think its pretty safe to say they are a lot more reliable than the L322 RR`s.

SD99... can you remember what brand/type of satin paint you used for the wiper arms?

Off topic slightly, but Harry Metcalfe has posted a nice video/buyers guide for the L322 RR. I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against owners' experiences on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl51reRXxgE

We have the Sport with the same engine. Its needed a few suspension height sensors, brake pads and rotors at least once a year all round (unbelievable how quick it eats them!), intercooler hoses and parking sensors. All this is in the past 3 years which, considering I did it all myself isn't too bad at all.

On the whole its been very reliable despite its mega mileage and still drives really well. Fabulous vehicles, they really are. If you have a height sensor fault it can be a real PITA. Ours went coming back from Manchester Airport one year. We had to drive the remaining 100 miles on the bump-stops all the way as the suspension just lets all the air out if it can't figure out what height its supposed to be at. That was fun.

The FFRR of that generation (the L322) just has too much body roll and is noticeably slower with the same engine which is why we settled on the sport.

I've had an offer accepted on a pre-facelift 955 turbo this morning with low miles. Its to get me over the winter whilst I decide whether to keep the RRS or not.. I hopefully pick it up after the weekend. Can't wait! An awful lot of car for the money especially when you consider its still more powerful than an 992 Carerra!

Robertb said:
SD99... can you remember what brand/type of satin paint you used for the wiper arms?

Off topic slightly, but Harry Metcalfe has posted a nice video/buyers guide for the L322 RR. I'd be interested to know how it stacks up against owners' experiences on here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl51reRXxgE

Funnily enough, it was left over from painting the bonnet vent on my L322 a few years ago. Just a halfrauds black satin rattle can.

I agree with Harry in regards to the comfortable driving position and kids never getting car sick. I miss the practical boot the RR had. Still think they aren`t that reliable but if you are prepared for that that its fine.

Funny back in May I was thinking of getting one of these to replace the RR but ended up with something else brought spontainiously, but my mate has just brought one and my girlfriend has started looking at them on auto trader so maybe soon we will end up with one on the drive :thumb:

I was using the car last weekend and fell victim to the weak tailgate struts and it bloody hurt. :frustrated: Only got myself to blame as I had bought replacement struts many months ago.

Anyway, I finally tackled this. Took a little over an hour but pleased to report I didn't break any clips removing the trim. :thumb:

I didn't replace the glass ones as they seemed fine.

Lots of step by step guides on youtube or google.

Attachments

• img_1533_949.jpg
    img_1533_949.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 5,974
  • img_1528_710.jpg
    img_1528_710.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 5,974
This is one of those jobs i enjoy doing .. satisfying ..

Not hard or easy ... just nice .

The glass struts are also lifter struts for the tailgate .. if not leaking then they should be fine but we tend to replace them at the same time ... it gives added lift .

Only time i've ever had a problem was when the coil spring broke .. then it was a nightmare lol .

All in all though .. :thumb:

Hadn't really driven the car much since we bought it last year and while it's addictive in sports mode, I never really enjoyed driving it however I'm pleased to say that has all changed.

Last week I removed the large spacers that were fitted by the previous owner. Also had a geo done and fortunately the nice chaps doing the geo were able to loosen the alignment bolts. Thought they might have been seized and was prepared to replace the control arms etc but instead spent the saving getting a major service and new plugs.

Car handles so much better now and I've really enjoyed blasting around in it this last weekend. :thumbs:

Attachments

• abca52ed_0b35_464d_9e90_cad4ea04e937_973.jpeg
    abca52ed_0b35_464d_9e90_cad4ea04e937_973.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5,803
I'm sure a read somewhere that the spacers are stock an certain wheel sizes, there seems to be a lot of different offsets on the Porsche wheels.

the flap nearest the transmission tunnel on the passenger side will give you access to the chassis negative connection, no need to lift the seat.

keep up the work , and keep posting useful info for us all
:thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back