Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Installing front wings

Cameltoe & Heel

Guys when the wings were taken off the car for paint etc the factory seems to use some sort of sealant as well as the bolts, does anyone know what this sealant is and perhaps how it's applied?.

Thanks
Trevor

Thanks John, I had a word with my body guy and he seems to think a bead of clear silicone would work also, so may go down that route.

Trev

As I didn't remove the wings it took me a while to understand the orientation of the plastic clips that sit on top of the blind rivvet affair, there's a quite a number of these, talk about over engineering :)

Trev

I`m pretty sure there is a Porsche part number for the sealer think its like a roll of grey mastic sealer, I wouldn't use Sikaflex if you ever need to remove the wings in the future that would be murder to remove.

I don't have the 993 PET to hand however the 964 one shows

000 043 129 00 sealing strap 25 x 2mm

Just for anyone else thinking of doing this you can also bed the wings on brushable seam sealer which you can probably get from Halfords or any body factor.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you shouldn't use Silicone Sealant on painted surfaces - something to do with the acidity... :?:
Sikaflex is fantastic stuff - you could put a car together with the stuff, but as others have said, you'd never get it apart again.

When 9M put mine back together after the work I know they used the correct stuff from Porsche, so when I'm back home in a few weeks I'll fish out the bill to see what it was (and how much is cost me :nooo: )

Fantastic chaps, thanks all for your input, so have the tape and a tube of poly, maybe do the underneath with some seam sealer too, cover all bases :)

I'll avoid the silicone approach, there's plenty of fresh paint between the mating surfaces.

John the mig welding site is great, I just aquired a decent 180 amp Mig from my old man, not had a chance to use it properly yet but looking forward to it when the time comes.

Onwards we march, wings to be remounted at weekend.

Trev

I'm just putting the wings back on my 944 turbo but according to PET2 the 944 is slightly different as it doesn't use anything on the contact surfaces. But just some of the sealant from a caulking gun against the joints. I bought a tube of Wurth Bond and Seal which appears to be the right stuff for the job and you can get it in black, grey or white. It is for seam sealing on boats and cars according to the wurth website.

All other models as far as I'm aware use the blue butyl strip between the contact surfaces as well as the seam sealer.

NOTE: Don't apply the seam sealer until the wing is fitted and you are happy with the position as it is apparently a real ***** to remove. You apply it just to the contact area joins to prevent moisture getting into the gaps.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back