Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My 981 Boxster developed a ticking/tapping sound this mornin

isysman

Chaps,

I was on the Col De Turini believe it or not, and not really a place you want to develop car issues. As I drove up it was fine, but as I went over the top and started to descend I noticed this sound coming from the driver's side air vent. I drove very slowly the 65 kilometres back to the boat after putting some oil in as I thought it might be low.

Any ideas? Hydraulic tappet maybe?

Sounds too fast to be a tappet or other engine problem. If I was to have a quick guess I'd say it's an auxiliary item: aircon compressor, power steering pump, etc. :dont know:

I did some searching online and there were quite a few threads of people having the same or similar issues and they said it turned out to be a leaf stuck in the air vent! So I took a look and sure enough there was a leave stuck in there. I've removed it and the sound seems to have gone. The engine has cooled down a bit though soo I'll have to drive it to see if it comes back.

I guess I'll have to nip over to Italy for a pizza! It did ruin my early morning jaunt on the mountain though.

Wow! Lets hope its that.

Enjoy your pizza :thumb:

Hell of a noise for a leaf!

I just drove to Ventimiglia and the noise never returned! The leaf was stuck in the round fan cover, not just covering it but in between the fan and the cover.

ragpicker said:
Blimey! I'll bet your ar5e started flapping when you first heard that!

:eek:

My initial concern was 'what happens if I break down up here in the mountains?' Once I was down my mind switched to 'that sounds expensive and I can only imagine how much Porsche Monaco charges per hour.'

To say I'm relieved is an understatement.

One of the cheapest fixes I've read about for a while.. :thumbs: :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back