Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removal of glass on instruments.

Fulla

Sao Paulo
Hi - The inside of the glass on my rev counter and speedo needs a clean.
Can someone tell me how I can get to it please?
I am assuming as people upgrade with white dials then it is achievable.

Kind regards,

James.

Right just tried to take out the rev counter and it get's blocked by the steering wheel cowl. It look's like you either have to seriously manhandle it which would no doubt result in damage for me...or remove the cowl which from searching means removal of the steering wheel...so I have decided to leave it for now.

Thank you for the links which I have now saved in case I attempt it at a later date.

You can remove the cowl without removing the wheel. Ive done it a while back to change bulbs in the rev counter. I also removed the glass from the speedo to clean it. The bezel on the dials is crimped on the back which holds the glass in place and just needs gently bending back so it can be removed. Of course the rev counter needs a bit of levering with a plastic trim removal tool or a blunt instrument to get it out of the dash.

It is not easy to take out the tachometer, but indeed doable. I have removed many tenths of these, and never had to remove any of the steering columnt covers.
Beware, do not pull too hard on the instrument ring, the plastic housing will break and you will pull apart the instrument. Also, do not bend or use much force on the plastic housing in general.

The trick is soap water and a bit of patience. Here's a DIY explanation on this:
https://www.bergvillfx.com/obcrepair
Cheers,
Tore

:bow:

ToreB said:
It is not easy to take out the tachometer, but indeed doable. I have removed many tenths of these, and never had to remove any of the steering columnt covers.
Beware, do not pull too hard on the instrument ring, the plastic housing will break and you will pull apart the instrument. Also, do not bend or use much force on the plastic housing in general.

The trick is soap water and a bit of patience. Here's a DIY explanation on this:
https://www.bergvillfx.com/obcrepair
Cheers,
Tore

Thanks Tore..I'll give it another go with some soapy water...I had visions of me completely buggering it up! I mentioned what I was doing to my wife, I know fatel, and she said just don't break anything! Then reminded me of the damage I caused 20 years ago whilst trying to replace my exhaust on my old Golf.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back