Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Camel's Porsche 993 Targa Project

Managed to fit the Golden rod and RS SSK now after purchasing new shims for the mechanism below, shift does feel great, sat in the garage it does anyways :)

X8KWIYF.jpg

Bought a new bonnet badge and Targa logo for rear, mostly because everything else was new but I'm glad I did the bonnet badge has seen better days, I did wonder if there was anyone out there that could revive it?.

TYrSsiK.jpg

Also had a bunch of bits zinc plated to help bring up the engine bay, used Karas in Leigh, they did a great job:

jKOPjrd.jpg

Here are the pulleys installed:

3WSERAv.jpg

This is going to Jack at Royals for a refurb:

PJzzG6K.jpg

Trev

I'm collecting a few bits for replating those look good and on my doorstep.
May I recommend 91160312701 for the altenator nut.
Have you considered a black wheel with blue piping?

Attachments

• cap_930.jpg
    cap_930.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4,810
So I've moved to the front of the car now which to be honest is a little frustrating in that it was nice to deal with all the new stuff at the rear to now come to the front and be faced with dirt and grime again.

I had some slight damage on the offside front to the Oil cooler hanger and strut so these will be replaced. Oil cooler fan resister was shot:

ocl5eh8.jpg

Promptly replaced:

nCtvtkm.jpg

As you can see it's all pretty grimey in there and oddly enough I seem to have a wheel hub stud that is a 45mm and the others are all 52, I think someone has replaced one with the wrong spec bolt, naughty, so that will have to be pressed out of the carrier. The cups that the spring sits in were pretty rusty so I've given them a good wire brushing a painted them.

wWgiQyO.jpg

Pulling the kit together for coiler build, problem is the top nut requires a 22mm spanner that is super deep to reach within the mount, it has to be a spanner as you require an alan down the centre to hold the strut itself from turning, argh!!:

skiyDS3.jpg

Luckily when i checked the front wishbone bushes they had been replaced with Superpro poly items so i'm going to leave these in place, I've removed the ball joints as they were super rusty, new ones on the way.

They look a bit better now:

AafGuod.jpg

Weekend should see me building up the offside front once I've been and emptied my wallet at OPC Bolton, again!!.

Trev

Guys a quick update, I managed to fire up the 993 at weekend, what a moment after 4 yrs of inactivity, with pretty much everything done to it short of a rebuild I guess I should expect it to be good but you just never know. I hadn't heard the car running when I bought it so such a huge relief.

The RSR's sound so soooooo good, I had a few false starts as my keyfob would not work even with a brand new battery, after a bit of investigation it turns out there was a dry joint in there, quick insertion of a jumper wire soon sorted that.

Post that, the immobiliser would turn off nicely however the car seemed to just try to turn over but couldn't, several attempts and no, then all of a sudden it bust into life, however for some unknown reason the alternator shaft was stuck solid and essentially the crank pulley destroyed the belt. Not sure why the alternator stuck solid as I disassembled the pulley and put it back on and it was fine :dont know: , I was thinking there was an issue with alternator or something, quite strange, suffice to say a new alternator belt is required.

Other than that she purred like a kitten, no smoke no nothing, sounds fantastic, a couple of sticky tappits initially but soon quietened down.

All in all a result so far
:thumbs:

Trev

Have you done the bearing on the alternator shaft? Common issue especially if there is movement in the fan blade axis :what:

Zingers absolutely replaced and smooth as silk.

I'm wondering if somehow I got the spacer wrong between the pulleys :?:

Trev

Great work Trev. Dropping the SSK and Golden Rod to my Indy tomorrow. Engine out on table at the min replacing all the usual stuff for a 100k miler. Your thread has got me excited again.

Baz

Jet Jock said:
Great work Trev. Dropping the SSK and Golden Rod to my Indy tomorrow. Engine out on table at the min replacing all the usual stuff for a 100k miler. Your thread has got me excited again.

Baz
That's how mine started and then grew :D
Are you coming across for the Oulton Park Porsche track day with the rest of the Dublin crew?

Endoman said:
Jet Jock said:

Baz
That's how mine started and then grew :D
Are you coming across for the Oulton Park Porsche track day with the rest of the Dublin crew?

I sure am. My 10th year(give or take a child being born, the nerve of him to be born March 10th :dont know: ) Are you?

Yes I'll be there whatever the weather.

Attachments

• oulton_park_958.jpg
    oulton_park_958.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5,546
oulton_park_958.jpg

That looks great. Remember lusting after one of these for years and coming close a couple of times. Never got there in the end.

Jet Jock said:

Baz

Hi Baz, does that mean full rebuild or just reseal and all the outer bits?, I'm assuming the latter. Good idea and should see you right for another 50 thou or so, good call on the SSK and Goldenrod. I've tried to keep my car pretty stock but the shift & steering is something I feel goes an long way toward the driving experience, so I try and sharpen it up in these area's. I chose the firmer RS rear subframe bushes, RSR's, Koni/M033, SSK/Goldenrod, C4 engine mounts, otherwise my car is stock, as it was always going to be a road car it fits nicely into how I would like it to drive.

If I was doing as RS rep (ala Endoman) then I would certainly be looking at many more upgrades.

Trev

Guys when is this trackday?, I'll get across for this for a mill around the pits and catch-up with you guys.

I'll bring my helmet just in case someone takes pitty on me and would like to give me a ride, I love Oulton, done many laps.

Trev

@endoman See you there to catch up so :thumb:

Trev,

Mine's a bit of a halfbreed of sorts :D . The previous owner (before Ian) had it set up as a near enough track demon. I kept it that way but the last few years, apart from Oulton Park and the odd few track days over here, it has seen very little use. I've wanted it as the happy of the 2 mediums, road and the odd track day. My Indy has been scolding me for its lack of use over the past 4 years(mainly because of our prohibitive tax system here on cars), and has warned me it needs to be used more. I'm literally just back from him this afternoon and he has informed me the engine is coming out this week as he says its easier to fix the oil leak and replace the various pipes, hoses and anything else that needs to be replaced. The SSK and Golden Rod is p1ss easy once the engine has been dropped. I'll get my pics up as he sends them to me.

The track day is Friday the 8th of March. You're more than welcome to come out with me, I'm no track pro though :lol: .

Baz

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back