Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

DME relay

Mine also failed nearly immediately after I bought the car - luckily for me I was on Hanger Lane gyratory at 8.30am on a weekday, so there was no one around... a-hem. (Even got a ticket for driving across bus lane to get off road).

Are new ones still as unreliable? As with distributors, you'd think someone would make an solid-state/electronic version (maybe they do?).

It's usually dry solder joints, solid state jobbie available from the states.

Guess what, driving along today, quite close to home, and first the big warning light comes on, then the full Christmas tree and very quickly total loss off power. managed to get off the road and tried re-starting, starter cranks, but nothing.
Something stirs in my memory, and i think 'Could it be the DME, and is that why I took peoples advice and have been carrying a spare for over two years?'
Answer : Yup!
fitted the spare, engine started immediately, I had a strange tiptronic light at first that i'd never even seen before. shut down the engine a restarted and it went away.
moral of the story :
YES YOU SHOULD CARRY A SPARE DME!
already ordered a new spare!
Cheers
J
PS the old one was labeled made in hungary, spare fitted was OP made in germany.

takeflight said:
Just an heads up 14.07 for the Oe quality at car parts 4 less.
Happy Christmas Roy
Thanks! Seems good value.
I realised I was using my 'spare' so just bought one for the glovebox. Hope the genuine Porsche part arrives :).

For what it's worth I bought one of the solid state ones from focus 9 that was mentioned in an earlier post

Been on the car for a year now and has been flawless

Cheers

Thafrix said:
For what it's worth I bought one of the solid state ones from focus 9 that was mentioned in an earlier post

Cheers

One of these? Which one of the two for a 993?

Cheers

Nick

nickjonesn4 said:
Thafrix said:

Cheers

Cheers

Nick

Doesn't appear to be a choice in your post, however the part no. quoted on the Invoice for mine is FT9-SSR-993. There were two types shown in their ad at the time; I think either might do but I chose this one and it's been trouble-free - famous last words! I think they are generally reliable, though, but I do still carry an original type.

Price for mine in 2017 was $39.99 + $6.80 shipping but that was to a work colleague in the US; he sent it via the internal post to the UK. I think that might have been a sale price.

HTH

Les Richards said:
nickjonesn4 said:
Thafrix said:

Cheers

Cheers

Nick

Doesn't appear to be a choice in your post, however the part no. quoted on the Invoice for mine is FT9-SSR-993. There were two types shown in their ad at the time; I think either might do but I chose this one and it's been trouble-free - famous last words! I think they are generally reliable, though, but I do still carry an original type.

Price for mine in 2017 was $39.99 + $6.80 shipping but that was to a work colleague in the US; he sent it via the internal post to the UK. I think that might have been a sale price.

HTH

Doh!

The two I was referencing were

"Pump prime" option http://www.ftech9.com/new-products/993-ssr-pp

Non "pump prime" http://www.ftech9.com/new-products/993-ssr

Just wondering if there is any real advantage in the "pump prime" option before I buy

Cheers

Nick

How often, realistically, do these fail?

I love the idea of the solid state upgrade, but not sure it's really worth it when I have a spare already?

gunner said:
How often, realistically, do these fail?

I love the idea of the solid state upgrade, but not sure it's really worth it when I have a spare already?

I rarely hear of any failure but my purchase was for peace of mind. That along with making sure I've the locking wheel nut and tow eye in the car too (after reading this thread).

Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back