Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help Please - Traction Control Cutting In When Not Required

This does seem a strange one, but a heck of a coincidence with the tyre change if it started playing up at the same time.

I had a similar experience a few years back when the steering angle sensor lost its calibration. Happened a couple of times, so the sensor was replaced.

most of the time it wasn't as dramatic as you describe - I would travel about 200yds while the car carried out diagnostics and calibrations and the ABS light would come on. On occasions when it didn't come on, driving around bends at a range of speeds, I experienced wheel braking / power reduction etc (sometimes quite severe) until the road straightened out and it would settle down again.

Mine is a C4. Alex's suggestion is worth checking out as well.

Thanks for all the help guys

I got the car back from Parr today they could only get it to do this once but I suspect they were not driving fast enough :dont know:

Anyway what they did find was odd tyre wear on the front insides and also the bushes on the suspension arms stating to pop out. they suspect this is the cause. I'm about to take the car off the road on 1st December so thinking when I get it out again April I will get new front tyres and maybe do the arms over winter. How hard is it to do the bushes? Is it a complete arm or just the bush? Once done get it setup properly and see what happens.

Cheers
winny

It's normally done by replacing the whole arm. You can however buy polybushes and just replace the bush, but it's a lot of faff.

I'd be very surprised if the bushes were the cause of the problem. The car's wheel speed measurement system(which is how the ABS and TC systems know when to do something) is where I would start. Alex's reluctor ring suggestion is what I would be looking into first, along with the steering angle calibration.

I've run my car with a nearly bald tyre on one side and a new tyre on the other side of the same axle with no ABS/TC impact whatsoever.

I would be interested in knowing how to check the reluctor rings if it is an easy job.

That said I'm fairly sure Parr are correct with their diagnosis as I have tried the car with the PSM turned off and the front end does let go at the same points where it loses power / slows down with the PSM on. I think it's a combination of minor issues at the front and extra grip at the back.

Guess we will have to wait until April to find out.

Thanks for all your help guys

Winny

I would be interested in knowing how to check the reluctor rings if it is an easy job.

That said I'm fairly sure Parr are correct with their diagnosis as I have tried the car with the PSM turned off and the front end does let go at the same points where it loses power / slows down with the PSM on. I think it's a combination of minor issues at the front and extra grip at the back.

Guess we will have to wait until April to find out.

Thanks for all your help guys

Winny

The issue with the braking is potentially ABS, not PSM. Turning the PSM off does not deactivate the ABS.

If you try and look inside the upright from the inside of the car you may see it. For some reason I'm convinced there's a hole in the upright that you can look down and see the ring but I may be wrong.

If you pull your ABS/PSM fuse out you should be able to drive the car without the issue happening.

Just for completeness i thought I better update this thread as there is a similar one going on right now on tyres

My problem was solved by fitting new matching front tyres the same brand as the rears only nothing else was changed as it's been ok since then

Winny

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back