Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sound deadening

Thafrix

Hi guys

The drain channel on my 993 got blocked and some water made its way into the rear left foot well

I lifted the carpets and sound deadening out to let it all dry out but the sound deadening foam has definitely seen better days and I would like to replace it

I have looked around at various online parts suppliers but can't seem to find replacements

Any ideas who might supply one? If not, what foam should I be buying to cut into shape?

Thanks!

I went to Porsche for the front footwells and Dynamat when I did the rear seat delete.

How did you find the Dynamat? I am considering it for my current project.

MC

I used it inside the doors and the thin closed cell foam instead of the vinyl behind the cards. Some Dynamat on the panels behing the seat backs and then covered it with the foam (thicker) to give a better contour for the RS carpets. There are cheaper alternatives but it works, particularly happy with the doors. That vinyl is bloody expensive for what it is.

Thanks for the replies guys

So is it not possible to get Porsche parts for it?

If so, aside form Dynomat does anyone have any further suggestions?

Cheers

Chaps on the sound deadening subject, when i got to the inside of my doors after removing the panel and skin there was a whole load of crap at the base of the door which was at some time stuck to the inside of the door skin.

Perhaps sound deadening or to reduce vibrations?, however I'd like to replace it with something, what have others done?.

thanks
Trev

Same here, I think it's to dampen panel vibration. That's where I used the Dynamat and then Dynaliner behind the door cards.

Any decent brand will do the job. Yes, all of this so-called "sound-deadening" is made to reduce vibration. It is not made to work like ordinary sound insulation (that's the thick stuff in the engine bay). It sticks to metal panels and reduces the resonance (vibration). (Imagine sticking gaffer tape on a bell). Bigger the panel, better the effect. That's how the noise gets into the car. There's usually two layers - the metallic stuff that goes on first, then a kind of high density foam that can go over it. Whilst there's a small insulation effect, it's the vibration it effectively stops.

The hard brown stuff you both found in the door is the old version of the modern stuff - the old stuff goes hard, cracks and falls off. It's known as "brown bread". Utterly useless - don't even think of finding original material. Probably not available anyway.

Do both inner and outer door skin, plus as much of the rear as possible. You'll notice a huge improvement if you do the rear bulkhead - that resonates terribly, it's the drone you hear come in at motorway speeds. Every 993 does it - it's a design "feature"!

Also, if you effectively seal the big holes in the inner door skin you'll notice the speakers in the door come to life in a way that wasn't physically possible for them beforehand.

As for weight loss... just go easy on the pies this Christmas... you can't feel the weight of this stuff in a tonne of car.

As ever guys extremely helpful information - hugely appreciated!

Sounds like I need to apply a whole load of "fresh" material on the doors too!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back