Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil leak help needed

Endoman said:
If the oil level was correct with the dipstick and there was no reading in the cabin then your float is not registering correctly. They are notoriously unreliable.
There is a breather valve at the top of the oil tank if this has failed and oil level is high (overfilled) crankcase pressure will blow it out of the filler tube.
If oil gets in the crankcase/tank breather pipe again though over filling you will get an air lock which will release though the filler as the tank vent can't cope.
I run 1/2 dipsick height and the guage never registers.

Thanks

I guess it must be this as the dipstick shows full.

When it gets this blowback pressure, where is the oil spraying out from?

The breather pipe or the filler tube? The cap on the filler tube looks pretty well sealed to me and I have no idea where the breather valve is but I guess under the wheel arch where the oil tank is?

Looks like another cleaning job for me and a more diligent regime to making sure there is the right oil level in the car.

The oil tank breather valve is on top of the oil tank, item 6 in the PET.
Usual sign of overfilling is clouds of blue smoke as excess oil get sucked into the inlet manifold. The filler cap is not neccessarily oil tight. The expansion of oil when hot is negligeable the main thing is to ensure the thermostat is fully open when checking the oil level and then wait til the fan comes on. It looks like you are getting a sudden surge of oil into the tank when the stat opens.

:agree:

From your original pictures then the oil is comeing out of the oil filler cap .. the car was fine i assume before you added oil .

As said .. this float lvl indicator is not brilliant .

To check , the oil must be at operateing temp .. put your hand on the o/s/f wing .. if its hot then the State is open and you can check the lvl.

I always leave the lvl a little low as otherwise when cornering and oil is at temp it can do exactly this .

Best way to drain some of the oil is probably remove the wing oil filter as draining at the sump tends to go wrong !!

Thanks for the replies

I will definitely warm the car up and check that the thermostat is opening as you suggest.

When I pour new oil into the filler tube is there anything that controls whether it goes into the oil tank or not?

I'm only asking because the oil that gets belched out is so clean it looks like it is only the new oil I have just poured down the tube. ie it doesn't look like it has ever been round the engine or mixed with the existing oil which has probably done five or 6000 miles and I would expect to be a bit different in appearance to the beautiful nectar coloured new oil.

You seemed to imply that the oil flow down the pipe was ok whilst filling, otherwise I was going to suggest a possible blockage through an obstruction of some sort or maybe a kink in the pipe?

One more thought, do you use the retractable filler neck when topping up?, is yours in good order?, I've heard of these disintegrating and causing ingestion of plastic pieces into the oil tank. could that be blocking or holding fresh oil?

Trev

The oil on the dipstick is always clean, it goes into the tank in the rear RHS wing space. This is why it is difficult to see it on the dipstick. The best way I've found is to bring the car up to temperature, if you watch the oil temperature gauge you will see it rise to the 8 O'Clock mark just go above it and then drop back. This tells you that the thermostat has opened, it usually takes about 8 - 10 miles of driving. Once you've got the thermostat open and the car nice and warm get it on a level surface with the engine running and remove the dipstick. Clean the dipstick with a piece of kitchen roll. Re-insert the stick and then withdraw it and place it on anther piece of clean kitchen roll with the end of the stick at the edge of the kitchen roll. The oil should leave a clear oil mark on the kitchen roll which if you've got it right should be just short of the second twist. As said, the gauge inside the car is not accurate.

Here's a YouTube video you might find useful, not Porsche but you'll get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKeFspGKbk

ATB :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back