Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 996's

Thanks cybot7. It needs a little love like any old car but I'm happy with what I've seen so far. Pulled it out of the garage today to fit a nice set of number plates and it looks great. Couldn't manage to get out for a run but fingers crossed for tomorrow

Attachments

• 9b1cbf9a_a016_42bf_a0b4_ff0addd435c9_576.jpeg
    9b1cbf9a_a016_42bf_a0b4_ff0addd435c9_576.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,243
  • 9b1cbf9a_a016_42bf_a0b4_ff0addd435c9_576.jpeg
    9b1cbf9a_a016_42bf_a0b4_ff0addd435c9_576.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,243
Got a little run out today. Not far but I don't know how my backs going to stick it yet so baby steps. Had the kids out and they loved it so that'll make it easier to get it out of the garage more often. Had tyre pressures up to 36/40 front and rear which seems to have helped a lot. Steering feels very vague at really low speeds but feels great at normal driving. Suspensions nice and firm, no rattling or squeaks. Still seem to have a little damp somewhere as the windows steam up a little but no problem. The paint now looks great if it gets any sun at all. It sounds fantastic with the resonator deleted and piper x filter to match the full exhaust.
So at this stage I'm very happy with it. I don't seem to really need to do anything to it other than get the front bumper off to clean up the rads and I still need to change the plugs and fuel filter.
It feels nice and tight apart from the gear shift.
I'd like a smaller steering wheel as the 1 I have feels massive

Just watched a video on you tube of a guy with a 996 aero in a burgendy colour. Thought it was quite nice. He had a very good word on his 996 for handling. He had pss9's I think. Poly bushes and oz rims. It sat nicely.

Do light weight rims make much difference?

NedHan79 said:
Another thing to note is I have a ticking from cold. Lasts maybe a minute on idle. Gone after that and I'm assuming it's just a sticky tapet.

Seems to be relatively common - I've heard a couple like that.

Yeah it seems to be common enough. I've timed it on the last few cold starts and it's generally 30-40 seconds. I've read that a good engine flush or additive before an oil change should cure it. Problem with that is it's had an oil change not long before I bought it. I'll not worry too much about it. If it was permanent, it'd be a different matter. The cars only got 74k on it and a very good history to back it up. I know mileage isn't the be all and end all but it's a bit more reassuring than if it was a high miler.

May just need an Italian tune-up. :drive:

To sort any sticky tappets out.

I've never heard the term Italian tune up before. On the subject of fuel additives or injector cleaners, do any of you use them? On my p1 I had a fair bit of work done and the larger injectors I used didn't seem up to the turbo, so I pulled them out and sent them for cleaning and flow testing. I don't want to pull them out of the Carrera so I was going to just use an injector cleaner treatment or possibly one of the carbon cleaning crowds that actually plug in.
Any ideas? I have a new fuel filter there to get on yet.
Got out yesterday but it was very sensible as I had the kids with me.

Everytime redex is on offer at tesco I bang a full bottle in a full tank.

I've never heard the term Italian tune up before. On the subject of fuel additives or injector cleaners, do any of you use them? On my p1 I had a fair bit of work done and the larger injectors I used didn't seem up to the turbo, so I pulled them out and sent them for cleaning and flow testing. I don't want to pull them out of the Carrera so I was going to just use an injector cleaner treatment or possibly one of the carbon cleaning crowds that actually plug in.
Any ideas? I have a new fuel filter there to get on yet.
Got out yesterday but it was very sensible as I had the kids with me.

Ive no idea why that was posted twice. I'll probably just run a few bottles through for good measure. If I ever get a chance to drive it :D
So is a good thrashing a cure for the sticky tappet?

NedHan79 said:
So is a good thrashing a cure for the sticky tappet?

Try it.......and if it doesn't work, try it again........and if it doesn't work, try it again.......and if it doesn't work, try it again........and if it doesn't work, try it again.......and if it doesn't work, try it again........and if it doesn't work, try it again :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back