Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Knocking from front offside suspension

dt4

Spa-Francorchamps
I found the anti roll bar boot had split on the top joint so replaced the drop link but still have the knocking
It tends to go away after a few miles of driving but returns each fresh journey
What is the usual cause, top mounts or lower control arm?

cheers

Anti roll bar bushes. Check you've nothing in your frunk rattling around :grin:

alex yates said:
Anti roll bar bushes. Check you've nothing in your frunk rattling around :grin:

I'll give it a going over but I didnt find any play it in the arb when I did the drop link
Dafter things have happened than the suggested stuff rattling around so Ill empty it before the next test drive lol
:thumb:

I once had a small fire extinguisher in there when I went on holiday. For the first 2 days of my holiday I was panicking something was wrong........until I realised what it was. :oops:

`I cant see any play in the arb and bushes and cant see anything untoward in the lower arm arm ball joint

With the wheel off the ground and unloaded should the top mount rotate when the nut on top is turned?

If the knock is over bumps and sounds kinda like .. bonk .. bonk bonk bonk ..simlilar to a link rod then its the diagonal arms .. roughly 50k miles and these start to knock like this ..

You wont feel anything wiggleing the wheel top to bottom or side to side .. its an annoyance and not a problem as such .

If this noise but far louder then its anti roll bar bushes .

To have a better idea then i really need a sound clip im afraid .

Top mounts wear .. you turn them lock to lock and look at the rubber section (in the arch ) .. you will see if its debonding .. dont cause a noise as such though .. top shock nut loose will though .

deMort said:
If the knock is over bumps and sounds kinda like .. bonk .. bonk bonk bonk ..simlilar to a link rod then its the diagonal arms .. roughly 50k miles and these start to knock like this ..

You wont feel anything wiggleing the wheel top to bottom or side to side .. its an annoyance and not a problem as such .

If this noise but far louder then its anti roll bar bushes .

To have a better idea then i really need a sound clip im afraid .

Top mounts wear .. you turn them lock to lock and look at the rubber section (in the arch ) .. you will see if its debonding .. dont cause a noise as such though .. top shock nut loose will though .
Thank you
Ill continue to investigate

Ooops lol
Sorry, http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=131114&highlight=

I'll try and get a sound clip but appreciate its really difficult to diagnose these things from a distance
I suspect it will end up going to the nearest recognised outfit which is Revolution
I was hoping to be able to sort it myself so will keep at it for now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back