Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Perfect description of the 993

hopeydaze

Received a marketing email from Williams-Crawford promoting a pair of 993s. it starts with a wonderful description of the 993 which ties in exactly with my experience, having previously owned four newer Boxsters and 911s.

I have never purchased from Williams-Crawford and i don't have any association with them. Moderators - please delete if I appear to be promoting the dealer! Here is what they say:

It's the last of the air cooled Porsche.
It's the last of the traditional construction.
It's certainly the culmination of 30 years of 911 development.
It's a 911 through and through and it's one of the greats.

You have a super strong 3.6 flat 6 that runs like a turbine, produces great power through the rev range and is accompanied by a sound that just gets better and better. A more sophisticated chassis and all new (for 993) multi link rear suspension. 6 speed manual or Tiptronic gearbox, a snug cabin with superb seats. A crystal clear rev counter sat directly in front of the driver and an often overlooked feature, a cabin with great visibility.

Expect something very special indeed....something no modern car can give. Something that is impossible to measure and hard to explain. It's a feeling of involvement, of being in tune with beautifully operating machinery. A car you feel as much as drive. A sound that never tires and a feeling of quality, of rock solid assurance that you have no right to expect in most other supercars.

There are other cars with more horsepower, or a higher top speed, or more glamour, but the 993 is more likely to get you there, and back, time after time. It's 170 mph performance and willing engine is rather more effective than the hp number might suggest. A 993 feels free, it hardly needs to try. It's a car that you could easily set off for a cross country drive, or plan a holiday to Italy. A 993 will do it all.

There is a caveat, that is that to fully enjoy the above you must find a good one.

I'm sure none of us would disagree with that description. I feel like putting another 10k on my Insurance valuation.

Illuminati upper chamber member no doubt :bandit:

My thoughts exactly!

Doesn't mention the dodgy driving position with regard to the pedals though? Ha ha

Sums it up for me completely. Plenty won't get it though unless they have actually spent time in one.....and driven it :D

perfectly said & reflects my own experience

:thumb:

The return of Marty Wild said:
Doesn't mention the dodgy driving position with regard to the pedals though? Ha ha

Not if it's LHD which was the original design.

Nothing dodgy about a 993 8)

ATB :)

"Most overrated 911 ever"

Oh sorry, not that description then. :D

.... I'm just messing lads. Well, half messing. :p

I thought the review was understated :D

It doesn't mention the smell :dont know: :mrgreen:

decgraham said:
The return of Marty Wild said:

Not if it's LHD which was the original design.

Nothing dodgy about a 993 8)

ATB :)

Euro article for Euro readers then :)

Never owned one, but back in the day we implored our mate not to swap his 993 for a 996. So I'm a fan via proxy.

Funniest description I read of a 911, then the 3.2, was by Quentin Wilson...

"Driving a good 911 feels like the End of Term... a bad one however will make you feel like having a bath...with a toaster"

Plus ca change...

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back