Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

upper valve cover access

xbonick

Hi All,
I'm replacing gaskets for both upper and lower valve covers.
I'd read how the drivers side upper, could be a pain to access, but after removing the clutch vent pipe etc. removing the engine tray went fine, so access to the driver side covers seems fine.
Now trying to remove the passenger side engine tray, I'm stuck on how to get at the last two bolts which basically face the passenger seat?
I have lowered the suspension arm a little, which gives a bit better access, is that the way to go?
I still can't get a good fix on either bolt.

Use a long 1/4 extension with a 10mm socket. It helps if the extension has a "wobbly" end allowing the socket some play. Feed it through the suspension. Fits pretty easy.

The lower one is a little harder but doable too. Use a small 10mm ratchet spanner. Sp there's two back there and one at the front above the exhaust.

Hope that helps.

Regards
GR

thanks GR, managed to get the remaining two bolts out after all that. Also had some great advice from decgraham.
After getting those last bolts out I then found I could get the tray out, so ended up removing the lower cover, which I knew to expect a bit of oil, but loads spilled out, maybe my car is not level? anyway a bit of a mess to clean now before deciding if just to replace gaskets or also get billet covers!

I would stick with the original covers as long as they are flat and the ali inserts are tight. If you check out Rennlist general concensus is there is no advantage to ali covers. Although the Rennline ones look good my r/h still leaks after 2 very careful gasket changes.
Couldn't help with the rear bolts as I did mine with the engine out.
For some reason the middle one of the 3 allen headed screws holding the side engine tin was very tight and an indie had fractured the r/h one, I had to drill and retap.
I did away with the clutch vent pipe and fitted a wire mesh over the breather.
I fitted a tiptronic tin and a bung for the airbox (not an original idea). The 993 is unique in 911s for that pipe.

Thanks Endoman, wish I was brave enough for an engine drop. Should I be worried about correct torque settings with the covers? It does look like the aluminium bushes are there to act as a stop?

Yes torque to correct settings 9.7nm or 7ftlb, I'd use new Alan bolts, they all need to be even torque, work from centre outwards. Get a small amount of oil on your finger and smear on seal face where it meets the camshaft housing, will ensure it sits nicely and doesn't get trapped.

A sure fire way to destroy the seal and cause leaks is with uneven pressure across the cover.

Trev

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back