Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New Battery

Les Richards

New Bosch battery from CarParts4Less, but not without some problems.

Previous one (also Bosch) lasted 10-years so can't moan about that; it appeared not to be holding a charge and just died when I tried to start.

Not overly impressed with the courier (DHL) as they ignored the storage and handling precautions on all visible faces of the parcel to keep it upright and handed it to me on end!

It had 11v in it when it arrived; the one in the car had 12.8v and wouldn't start it.

Bought both these points to CarParts4Less's attention using their email system but apart from automated replies got nothing else (they state max. 48-hrs to reply). Phoned yesterday, one week on, and spoke to a really helpful chap who got the battery changed via the local ECP. Now fitted, it started the car really well so hopefully it will be good for another few years.

Feel sure had I gone to Halfords (I know, I know..) a new battery would have been ready to go. Not sure if I would recommend CarParts4Less for this sort of purchase, though, in future.

Same here - my bosch S4 battery was at least 11 years old and still going. I knew I was pushing my luck so changed it for an S5 with exactly the same dimensions.
I bought it from TAYNA who were superb. I originally bought an S5 315 x 175 x 175 from them without discussing it as everyone said it would fit but oh no it did not! After a chat with TAYNA they picked it up and delivered the correct one at the same time, so am very pleased to recommend them. Best price too.

Milly

Feel sure had I gone to Halfords (I know, I know..) a new battery would have been ready to go

......Indeed .... most 993s eat batteries ....... my best result from Halfords was three new batteries replaced over five/six year period ..... I love Halfords ........ :)

Bought a pair of Sebro front discs using the Black Friday code, they sent just one, even though the order form contained in the box had two discs clearly stated.

I've had issues in the past with handbrake cables, be careful if choosing to use them.

trev

In the week between delivery and its replacement I did think of sourcing a battery from another supplier and looked on eBay - normally my first choice for at least pricing stuff.

I saw those from TAYNA and that they were competitively priced but my nagging concern was that, even with a 4yr warranty, in the event the battery failed I would probably need to get it returned to Abergele, Wales which might not be that easy. And that presumes the company would still be trading. At least from CP4L they have links through ECP so a return should be much simpler and the likelihood of them ceasing to trade is remote (isn't it...?).

Having said all that, perhaps the earlier post about Halfords has more merit than I first gave it if you can get a replacement every 3/4 years or so?

Just a (belated) thought.

I've had 2 free replacement batteries from Halfords, just remember to keep the reciept.

madalaa said:
Feel sure had I gone to Halfords (I know, I know..) a new battery would have been ready to go

......Indeed .... most 993s eat batteries ....... my best result from Halfords was three new batteries replaced over five/six year period ..... I love Halfords ........ :)

Hi Andy,

Make that 5 now, luckily you kept all the receipt's and Halfords swapped it out for me today free of charge!

They gave me a bit of grief over it, especially as this was the 5th replacement, saying it might not be the right battery for the car, how often do I use the car etc etc. But stuck to my guns and got the swap. :D

The manager said the Halfords batteries are made by Bosch. Let's see how long this will last.

Mike

Bosch Batteries.

I thought I read somewhere that Johnson Controls make Bosch batteries.

Confusing, innit?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back