Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Removing standard steering wheel on 997.1

Donstanley

I have bought a new steering wheel with paddles for my 997.1 Tiptronic, it came with full instructions both for removing the standard wheel and fitting the new one.

I am having problems locating the head of the T30 screw through the hole in the rear spoke of the steering wheel to release the airbag.

There appears no way of seeing the head of the screw, and I cannot feel the head of the screw even with a smaller T25 torx.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

I would preface this rely by saying I've not done this!

I believe you use the hole behind the wheel spoke to released the airbag. (Disconnect battery 1st!)

Once that's out of the way, I believe the torx bolt is beneth it.

Have a look on YouTube for video which should show you how, basically with wheel straight insert screwdriver or allen key vertically through the hole and push up once it contacts spring clip, it should then release the air bag (disconnect battery and wait 10-15 mins before attempting to allow any capacitors to discharge) once you see whats holding airbag it becomes clear, so check for video if still unsure.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for replies which I have tried, but without success yet, I am either using wrong technique or just not strong enough.

I had positioned wheel straight ahead to make fitting new wheel in correct position easy. As suggested I may be able to exert more pressure if wheel was turned.

Can I reinsert the key to enable me to turn the wheel with the battery disconnected without causing any problems.

Instructions are very clear to remove key after battery disconnected and not replace key until battery is connected again.

A little tip on removing these ..

I use a T20 screwdiver as the head is just about the right size to push on the bar.

Push the bar with one hand then with the other give a descent hit several times to the top of the steering wheel .. always works for me .

I use a medium sized screwdriver, your feeling for a bar that when pressed against releases the air bag. As you push the bar up and down it should feel like a spring. Also give a bang on the wheel while depressing the bar.

Hope that helps :thumb:

Many thanks for all the advice, I persevered and in the end with minimum force the airbag popped out. Not sure what I did different if anything, but was very easy in the end.

Not total success however as new wheel which is supposed to be straight swop on 997.1 Tiptronic has different connections to the airbag.

Original wheel has 3 connections, 2 the same (1 green, 1 white) and a black one.

New wheel airbag has only 1 connection which is the same as the green one on the original airbag.

At least the main connection to the car is the same.

New wheel is an atiwe wheel, so may need to contact them if seller on eBay cannot help.

Again any info or advice much appreciated.

Can you post a couple of pictures please of each airbag connection ..

Im afraid i mainly do standard faults and mods are not my thing but it might ring a bell with someone here .

steering wheel

I have a pdf for fitting cruise control which covers removing the steering wheel send me a pm with your e-mail and I will ping it over :thumb:

All sorted now with the help of the seller, thanks for all the advice, I would not have persevered without it.

Glad it all worked out in the end :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back