Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2001 C4 project car

Good points, that's about the temp you want though.

Now what would be really interesting... would be some kind of oil temperature sensor that indicated when the oil had reached a certain temp - kind of like a light indicator in a factory switch housing that went out when the target temp was reached (at whatever temp at whatever possible pickup point made sense)...... if it could go from red to yellow then off, that would be perfect...... just saying :lol:

Having an early car with a GT3 console delete I have 2 factory blanks in the centre tunnel behind the ashtray - my dream is to eventually fit and wire a garage door opener to one (after I fit a power roller garage door!)... and have a "low oil temp indicator" in the other - that may actually be my nirvana (tragically!)

demon said:
Now what would be really interesting... would be some kind of oil temperature sensor that indicated when the oil had reached a certain temp - kind of like a light indicator in a factory switch housing that went out when the target temp was reached (at whatever temp at whatever possible pickup point made sense)...... if it could go from red to yellow then off, that would be perfect...... just saying :lol:

Having an early car with a GT3 console delete I have 2 factory blanks in the centre tunnel behind the ashtray - my dream is to eventually fit and wire a garage door opener to one (after I fit a power roller garage door!)... and have a "low oil temp indicator" in the other - that may actually be my nirvana (tragically!)

I'll look in to it, I did think of having a switch to switch the temperature gauge between water and oil, but your idea would also work well.

MC

I finished testing the solenoid using a hot air gun to trigger the thermostat, it all works nicely. Unfortunately when I came to fit the bracket after painting the radiator brackets I found there was interference with the air-con pipes, and the outlet from the solenoid didn't line up very well with the inlet to the radiator. So time for a new bracket. This moves the solenoid further back and down, and rotates it slightly. As you can see it now fits and lines up.

I was hoping to keep the water inlets at the top of the radiators so that they are easier to bleed, but that caused even bigger clearance so they will go at the bottom. This is how they are on the GT2 so I doubt it will be an issue. The radiators will be vacuum filled and there is a bleed on the top in case I want to manually bleed them. The drivers side needs a little bit of extra pipework to make that fit, that will be shown when the parts arrive.

One of the handbrake cables needed to be changed so I thought I would do both. After about an hour and a half I managed to get both sides off, it was far from easy. The tubes on the car will be cleaned up and protected before the new ones go on.

MC

Looks great. I'm new on here so just getting a chance to read some of the threads. Some very helpful info on there.

The return side of the front radiator is plumbed in. I needed to use a 90 degree bend and an elbow to get from the new lower outlet on the radiator back up to where it should be, whilst avoiding the horns.

MC

Torqued up the RSS studs before fitting the rear hubs so I can get in with the torque wrench. New handbrake guide tubes fitted.

MC

Great work.

Martin, this is looking so impressive. I wish I possessed just some of your wiring skills :bandit: I'm fretting over fitting heated seats and a decent stereo and there's you going all NASA :oops:
Never mind group buy's. we need to do a group visit and guided tour 8)
1. Chief
2. Kurly Kris
3. Peter S
4. Waz

If anybody is around Eastwood, NG16, you are welcome to pop in. Probably worth waiting a couple of weeks until the suspension and brakes are on. I was told yesterday that the suspension will be ready in 10 days.

MC

Chief said:
Martin, this is looking so impressive. I wish I possessed just some of your wiring skills :bandit: I'm fretting over fitting heated seats and a decent stereo and there's you going all NASA :oops:
Never mind group buy's. we need to do a group visit and guided tour 8)
1. Chief
2. Kurly Kris
3. Peter S
4. Waz

Oi, get to the back of the queue sunshine

This is a great little vid on a 996 gen1. Really brings home the great value these cars are. I've been following the 981 spyder price as I really like them and would make a great euro hoon car but after reading some of the dribble on PH about how these cars are considered high mileage at 8.5k after 2.5 years I'm thinking what's the point in owning one if you can't drive it for fear of loosing your shirt in depreciation Which brings me back to the 996 good value and all the car and more than you need for the road, and will cost less than any other Porsche imo to own.
Looking forward to seeing the end product Martin you could be onto a real winner here with your planned mods :thumb: off to check the classifieds now :grin:

Rear hubs dropped on ready to refit the handbrake mechanism. I have started cleaning up the parts and they should be ready for reassembly tomorrow.

Installation of the centre radiator solenoid is done:

The wires are covered in heatshrink and routed up through a grommet at the top of the wheel well.

The earth will go to the earth point shown in this photo. The white wire needs to route through the fuse box, which will be more of a challenge.

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back