Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 996's

That's why I love the site so much.

NedHan79 said:
maldren said:
I've got the resonator bypass in place at the moment and I'm going to revert back - too boomy for me.

When you say resonator bypass, do you mean a bung in the top of the air box and a silicone pipe from the box to the throttle body?
Does it really make that much difference? What air filter do you have?
I'd be interested in buying it if your taking it off

Yes, that's what I have and yes, it does boom at higher revs. I've put in a filter from Spyder and I'll keep that but refit the standard airbox to throttle body part.

I was going to look at getting a pipe today so if your selling I'd be interested. Do you want to pm me and see if we can get a deal?

Welcome, nice car!!

worth to mention if you are not far from Manchester or if you far away feel free to join us at The Bulls Head more information with dates you can find in Meets & Events

you can check up this month catch up:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=130482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

since you already on drainage, please take off bumper and clean front radiators you will find more information on this forum or just take a look on this video why you should do it:

Always interesting to see results. I'll get mine on the rollers at some stage just for a health check. I pulled out the resonator. I just cut the round piece off it, put it back in the air box and put the standard pipe back on. I'd say that'll be all I'll do. Panel filter in it is fairly fresh so I won't bother with a new 1 yet. Ive ordered a set of iridium plugs and fuel filter because Ive no record of when they where last changed. Also noticed my alternator belts on the way out so I'll order 1 of those as well.

Had a quick look at the rads/ condensers through the bumper and they obviously haven't been cleaned in a while so I'll sort that this week too.

All in all it's just the usual things so far that I've seen on most cars needing doing.

77szymon said:
Welcome, nice car!!

worth to mention if you are not far from Manchester or if you far away feel free to join us at The Bulls Head more information with dates you can find in Meets & Events

you can check up this month catch up:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=130482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

since you already on drainage, please take off bumper and clean front radiators you will find more information on this forum or just take a look on this video why you should do it:

Thanks for that and thanks for the invite but I'm over in Northern Ireland. I'll maybe see if there's anything happening over here

Did anyone ever get a clear answer to the water drainage problem beside the battery?
I took the battery out and looking down in you can see the bend in the pipe going towards the wheel. Couldn't see this until the battery was out. Thing is when I pushed it in by accident, I can see now that it's not actually connected to anything at the other end because it's so loose in there.

Can I take a chance and just leave it?
I'm guessing the water will drain away down the side of the fuel tank anyway

The reason the grommets are the shape they are is to stop rodents getting in but still allowing the water to drain, but due to the taper design they do block up with crud. It will still drain water away with no grommet but if you live where there is a chance of mice I would fit one back.

I pushed a grommet in a while ago so just bought a new one from OPC although when I removed my fuel tank a few weeks ago there it was.

I don't think any area is rodent free no matter how clean and tidy it is but that's a good enough answer for me. I'll maybe get onto porsche Belfast here at some stage and order 1.

Got a fair bit done this week. I'm 2 stages into a 3 stage machine polish. Just waiting on polish and pads to come and give it the final going over before a couple of coats of wax. Stuck a coat of wax on the wheels for good measure.

Stuck on a new alternator belt as the other 1 was frayed. Got den so iridium plugs and a fuel filter but there's no hurry on them, I'll get them in over the winter. I did small mod to the air box. Removed the resonator and blanked the hole. Still have the original y pipe on as I refuse to give £80 for a piece of hose. Did a bit of research on eBay and found what I need at around £20.
I have a piper x panel filter coming as well.
My cars fitted with some sort of stainless steel exhaust. Unsure of the make but it's got the manifolds, what I'm guessing are 200 cel cats as they're definitely not standard, and back boxes. I would have liked an x pipe decat but I'll leave well alone.

On looking more at the car it seems to be well specked. Half carbon steering wheel as well as aluminium and carbon handbrake. No idea what else.

But all in all things are going well thanks to some advice on here.
Much appreciated

Good progress! :thumb:

Definitely leave your cats in otherwise it's hassle for mots. Decats could put an EML light on too, although the 3.4s aren't so fussy when it comes to that.
It sounds like a decent setup already though.

Carbon interior bits are worthless. I'll take the wheel off your hands if you pay the postage.

Just kidding obviously :D . You'd get a shock at the prices of the carbon Tequipment interior parts.
Carbon wheel is mega rare. Very nice thing to have. 8)

That's good to know mark but if I took it out I'd only have to buy another 1. I don't really like it as it's a big 4 spoke job. Seems the someone ticked all the boxes with the lsd etc.
Yeah progress has been good but back to work on Monday so it'll slow down. I've only done about 20 miles in it since I got it so I'm over due a blast but can't until I get the paint sorted. Don't think I'll sorn it over the winter as I'd like to get to grips with it.

On a completely different topic, what tyre pressures work? The figures in the book seem to be seriously high.

Tyre pressure opinions are like "what oil?" threads. Lively debates. :grin:

I think factory are 44/36 if I remember rightly. Most of us go for 40/34 but like I say it usually generates a bit of debate. :wink:

Edit - Pzero has it covered there. ^^

I'll get a look at pzero's thread when I get a chance. Funny I've a nice set of pzeros on😉
Not really worried as to how hard the ride is but more on even tyre wear.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back