Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slow Cranking

Aghh ok so this is not necessarily a slow crank but a possible slow to fire up .

If you can .. do a sound clip or a video please so i can confirm if its poor start or slow cranking .. i dont really want to tell you to replace a starter motor when the fault is actually something else .

2 seconds sounds about right but a video will tell me a lot .

Bear in mind when i normally fix cars i have them in front of me :D

deMort said:
Aghh ok so this is not necessarily a slow crank but a possible slow to fire up .

If you can .. do a sound clip or a video please so i can confirm if its poor start or slow cranking .. i dont really want to tell you to replace a starter motor when the fault is actually something else .

2 seconds sounds about right but a video will tell me a lot .

Bear in mind when i normally fix cars i have them in front of me :D

Really appreciate that deMort, cheers pal.

Unfortunately I won't have access to the car for a while now so can I post back in a week or two :thumb:

There doesn't seem to be a lot of diagnosis going on here. You have a volt meter, have you looked at the following during cranking:

Battery voltage
Voltage between battery - and starter motor -
Voltage between battery + and starter motor +

I would do it by pulling the fuel pump fuse so that I can run it for a good few seconds to get readings. All of this talk of issues with earth or power straps could be confirmed by the above tests. If you are getting a good battery voltage and that voltage is present at the starter motor then it is a motor fault.
If you are seeing significant voltage drops on either the - or the + side then you can further check, such as the voltage from the chassis to the battery - terminal.

I know that slow starter motors are an issue on some models of BMW, so it isn't unheard of.

MC

I've just got round to fixing mine properly. I decided to change the alternator to starter cable, which also carries the starter solenoid feed. i was getting some clicking from the solenoid so it pointed to this. It was pretty green and corroded looking. I put a new starter in for good measure, and it now cranks very quickly, hot or cold.

M

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanjf
Back