Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Back and better than before

accident where to repair

if you luv this car and you are going to keep it. get the car back .I'm sure you can find some one to sort it . I probably have a couple of numbers .I wouldn't have a problem using second hand parts and they can be found .many years ago I had a 964 rs which had 2 big accidents at spa .it sold a few years for £165,000 unfortunately not by me .good luck

A garage totalled my 993, I specified a repairer who did a great job, ninemeister, but screwed me over by verbally quoting one thing then when the job was finally finished presenting me with a whacking great bill for the extras after I provided a whole bunch of parts which were supposed to more or less pay for spraying the extra panel rear bumper, mirrors and a few dents. Lesson: especially if you are doing deals and supply used parts etc. Get quotes in writing don't trust people's word.
Mine needed jigging too.
A fixed 993 like this is going to be worth significantly less than a straight original one, even if not written off. don't kid yourself no-one would be able to tell, any dealer or ppi should pick up such a repair very easily.
A good pay out would get you into a really good modern Porsche or something else : I sold my 993 before they started going really silly but used the money on an e46 m3 and a 996 so scratched some good itches and not really regretted it as beautiful as 993s are..

Agree with above, there's nothing difficult about working on a 993, they're very repairable vehicles as they're built so well, complexity is not an issue, there's nothing that special about them that means only highly qualified experts can work on them, but it has to be done right.

If you're paying yourself (like I have) it can be done within a reasonable budget especially if you can do a lot of the work yourself.

I have paid for new parts rather than second hand (over time I might add). That said I would say I've spent 50% of my money on fixing damage and 50% on bringing her right up to snuff, there's always stuff to do whilst you're in there, particularly if you see the car as a long termer.

If you love that car get it back, it can be repaired no doubt.

Trev

asterix_the_gaul said:
A garage totalled my 993, I specified a repairer who did a great job, ninemeister, but screwed me over by verbally quoting one thing then when the job was finally finished presenting me with a whacking great bill for the extras after I provided a whole bunch of parts which were supposed to more or less pay for spraying the extra panel rear bumper, mirrors and a few dents. Lesson: especially if you are doing deals and supply used parts etc. Get quotes in writing don't trust people's word.
Mine needed jigging too.
A fixed 993 like this is going to be worth significantly less than a straight original one, even if not written off. don't kid yourself no-one would be able to tell, any dealer or ppi should pick up such a repair very easily.
A good pay out would get you into a really good modern Porsche or something else : I sold my 993 before they started going really silly but used the money on an e46 m3 and a 996 so scratched some good itches and not really regretted it as beautiful as 993s are..

^^^ Wise words! Accepting a total loss leaving you with £55k in the bank certainly looks attractive in the context of the above contribution.

You obviously haven't seen or heard his 993. It'd be like like tou having £25k in the bank and no 996 Turbo.

OP: I hope the matter has now been resolved - one way or the other.

Hey Peter,

How did you get on with this?

Alex, eventually after battling the Insurance for months the car has been saved with no markers or categories and after only 2 weeks of work starting is well on the way to being good as new. Just shows never give up with the old Insurance guys!

Once started there was much less work to do than originally thought. It's having a full respray and some other little bits and bobs whilst its there.

Road and race are working on the car and are doing an amazing job with my very high levels of attention to detail and outstanding workmanship. I drop in to see progress nearly every week and am never unwelcome and every detail is shared. Its how it should be, I wish more companies were like this.

They have other 993's in at the moment for screen area repairs involving welding and mine has needed none of this so it was definitely not for the scrap heap!

Roll on 2019 and hopefully a nice summer :D

:thumbs:

That's excellent news mate!! Look forward to seeing it in the new year.

Insurance companies are always a pain, but like you've proved, keep at 'em until you get your result. R&R did an amazing job of a friends Cayman after his was seriously damaged in a serious collision. When it came back it looked better than before the accident. It's definitely with the right guys.

All's well that ends well :)

Cameltoe & Heel said:
Great news, we'll have to have a Lancs meet up next year?, there's a good few of us now :)

Trev
Indeed, looks like we all have wounded soldiers. It would be great to get together in the New Year.

+1

Would be good to meet up. I am away on my delayed honeymoon to Costa Rica Mid Feb to end of March and with a full respray and PPF film on the front end (have to wait 6 weeks to apply it) I don't think it will be back until after then. So April with some nice weather would be best.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back