Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

Porsche Classic oil service, inspection and mot at Portsmouth OPC. Plus the loan of a 718 Pdk Cayman which was great. Super quick and loads of tech but it is no 993!

mine's in the shop getting its 24k service and new engine mounts as they're shot.

going for the RS mounts - Jakal is v complementary of the effect new mounts, esp the RS ones have, looking fwd to getting the car back!

also split CV boot getting replaced, new bonnet struts, new exhaust heat shields :)

Engine bay wiring loom recall FOC at Hatfield OPC and, while there, anti-roll bar drop links replaced.

The various supports and mounting plates for the rear bumper, also inspired by a thread on here the relevant undercoat and rustproofing to prep them with.

I'm quite tempted to take the job of fitting the parts on myself but as a (very) amateur mechanic I'm a bit nervous... thoughts?

I'm reasonably handy and have the the requisite level of OCD but this would be a leap into the unknown. :bandit:

nickjonesn4 said:
as a (very) amateur mechanic I'm a bit nervous..

Think you're probably more handy than me, Nick. I topped up my engine oil on Sunday for the first time in the 993 - something I'd ordinarily have got done by a mechanic. Baby steps for me... :floor:

If you go ahead with replacement of the bumper support struts and investigate chassis leg corrosion be very aware that the fasteners with be corroded badly and it's so easy to fracture studs. PB blaster works well but localised intense heat i.e. cherry red is the best way to crack off seized nuts.
Best way is an induction coil (no flame ) but they are very expensive )circa £750)
I pinch Jamie Oliver torch from the kitchen, getting into trouble again when the Creme Brules are out.

Attachments

• omg_134.jpg
    omg_134.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 3,718
if your looking for support I am up in Aberdeen and happy to share advice and assistance, I have done more than. my fair share of chassis legs and restoration on these cases, its not a hard job, just involved and everything will be seized and a bit crusty, as ever it will cost more than you expect in brackets screws and fixings.
well worth doing though, they all need it doing just differing levels of corrective works and that always the unknown till you strip them fully.

It's a nice winter project.

Thanks all

Endoman said:
I pinch Jamie Oliver torch from the kitchen, getting into trouble again when the Creme Brules are out.

Excellent, I own at least two of these that get used once a year max.

pierrebear said:
Think you're probably more handy than me, Nick. I topped up my engine oil on Sunday for the first time in the 993 - something I'd ordinarily have got done by a mechanic. Baby steps for me... :floor:

I'm enjoying the relative simplicity of the car. Oil top up is good first step!

Trantorman said:
if your looking for support I am up in Aberdeen and happy to share advice and assistance.

Thankyou. If I do take the plunge i will take you up on that!

nickjonesn4 said:
The various supports and mounting plates for the rear bumper, also inspired by a thread on here the relevant undercoat and rustproofing to prep them with.

I'm quite tempted to take the job of fitting the parts on myself but as a (very) amateur mechanic I'm a bit nervous... thoughts?

I'm reasonably handy and have the the requisite level of OCD but this would be a leap into the unknown. :bandit:

Nick, do you have a list of parts/numbers for a narrow body car?

A bit self indulgent but I couldn't resist:-https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1111913-hunziker-driving-shoes-normally-145-59-now-only-99-00-while-supplies-last.html
I've found the 993 pedals a bit close for my big plates of meat and if I'm on a long drive I wear Sparco racing boots.
These will be a bit less noticable ( I didn't get the Martini ones.)

Attachments

• hunzikershoe_promo1542058691_126.jpg
    hunzikershoe_promo1542058691_126.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 3,583
Endoman said:
A bit self indulgent but I couldn't resist:-https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1111913-hunziker-driving-shoes-normally-145-59-now-only-99-00-while-supplies-last.html
I've found the 993 pedals a bit close for my big plates of meat and if I'm on a long drive I wear Sparco racing boots.
These will be a bit less noticable ( I didn't get the Martini ones.)

Nice.

I like the Piloti Lemans https://www.carnoisseur.com/product...MIpJLnjs7W3gIV5r3tCh049Aa-EAQYASABEgIHkvD_BwE

Pretzel said:
nickjonesn4 said:

Nick, do you have a list of parts/numbers for a narrow body car?

Mine is a widebody so unfortunately can't help

New set of brake flexy lines from HEL can't recommend them highly enough.
Stainless fittings in all sorts of colours. The female ends swivel, making fitting them a doddle. Made in UK too.

New wheel set courtesy of cableguy and speedline alloys going to be tucked away post refurb and also new rs side skirts courtesy of slippydiff. Thanks chaps :thumbs:

You can see the super glue on the old RS side skirts. Also reinstalled front screen and rear lightweight glass, seat backs repainted and interior tarted up a bit.

Attachments

• 5a26bac0_002d_48f1_9bf5_962f545dbd44_250.jpg
    5a26bac0_002d_48f1_9bf5_962f545dbd44_250.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 3,231
  • 5a26bac0_002d_48f1_9bf5_962f545dbd44_250.jpg
    5a26bac0_002d_48f1_9bf5_962f545dbd44_250.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 3,231
  • fullsizeoutput_ae9f_674.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ae9f_674.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 3,231
  • fullsizeoutput_ae9f_674.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_ae9f_674.jpeg