Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Drive train issues

Danae

My Macan S, purchased in Sept 2014, now has about 21000 miles, and has run virtually flawlessly from day 1. About 10 days ago I started noticing that periodically, when turning (sharply) and moving slowly into our out of a parking space, I would sometimes feel a vibration or shuddering in the drive train, as if one of the tires was squirming. It didn't seem to be coming from the front end, as I didn't feel any vibration in the steering wheel. Then I subsequently noticed that there were times while accelerating from a stop, there would be an irregular thumping that seemed to emanate from the rear of the car and could be felt through the seat. The uneven thumping (almost like the engine was missing) would happen from 0 up to 40 mph or so. It seemed to happen when the car had been driven for a short while, not when cold.

I scheduled an appointment with my dealer on Tuesday this week. My Service Rep said that they had not seen any issues like this with any Macans, but that there had been a problem with some transfer cases in new Cayennes. The morning I drove it the 20 miles to the dealer, the symptom didn't show up. So, as expected, the technician who worked on the car couldn't detect it either, and there were no codes suggesting a malfunction. But he did find a bulletin covering a software update for the drive train, so he installed the update and test drove the car again and found no evidence of any malfunction.

On my way home after picking up the car, about 10 miles from the dealer, I again started to notice this phenomenon again as I was parking the car. And yesterday it happened a few times both during parking maneuvers and accelerating from a stop. If there is a day when it seems to be acting up consistently (which seems to happen more on very wet days), I will take it back to the dealer so they can hopefully witness the issue and not think I'm imagining things. I have to think it involves the electronically controlled rear end, or transfer case, or PTV. 壓鑄機 電鍍 台中搬家

Just curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

I have a 2013 Cayenne with 78000 miles and recently started experiencing similar problems. I drained and refilled the transfer case fluid using Ravenol TF-0870 Transfer Case Fluid, which meets / exceeds Porsche OE spec.

I replaced the fill and drain plugs (be careful not to over tighten the plugs).

The fluid which came out had degraded noticeably.

The new fluid has cured all the symptoms and only took about 10 minutes to change as my Cayenne has air suspension, so easy to crawl underneath!

Anecdotal evidence from across the pond (Rennlist) would suggest that the vent pipe to the transfer case is sub standard and allows ingress of water / moisture, which over a period of time causes the transfer case fluid to degrade.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back