Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

Just for group knowledge, here's the Nokia M490 Amp, cabrio specific version:

45763458722_f232f4bb68_b.jpg

Dimensions are 20cm wide, 16.5cm high and 4cm deep.

= It's quite a small amp.

I have been wondering about using the bracket that the CD Changer used to live in for a different amp - the changer being physically larger than the Nokia amp, it gives you more options I think.

the size and weight stop it rattling around - just a fortunate coincidence that it fits exactly!! I was going to use velcro, but didn't need to.

Dammit said:
Just for group knowledge, here's the Nokia M490 Amp, cabrio specific version:

45763458722_f232f4bb68_b.jpg

Dimensions are 20cm wide, 16.5cm high and 4cm deep.

= It's quite a small amp.

I have been wondering about using the bracket that the CD Changer used to live in for a different amp - the changer being physically larger than the Nokia amp, it gives you more options I think.

I'm digging around for the photos.. but you can remove the amp from the bracket and EASILY fit a pair of those Pioneer amps in that location using the original mounting bracket (or JBL do a similar sized one) You can also use the power supply to that old amp, the signal feed, speaker wires etc. So it is the logical location as everything is there

Edited - found image
Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak7OTAfmTrHxv3hPyCUe8oyIDlxT

Ignore the rather messy wiring - this was mid fitting.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak7OTAfmTrHxv3hPyCUe8oyIDlxT

Dammit said:
They are appealingly tiny, but would I not need three?

why not six?! :D :D
But honesty? no. 1 in 4ch mode to drive the dash and rears, the other in 2ch mode to drive the doors

Hint / Tip:
Drive the door speakers with the RCA / phono front channel pre-out and set the amp to LF mode. and NOT from the sub out - it will sound better like that.
Then drive the slim sub from the sub out

eabeukes said:
Halcyon - did you cut the speaker harness or buy an adapter?

Installed a new speaker loom. Necessitated by the common ground system used by Porsche. But spliced back into the original loom, post the amp in the frunk as that's all "normal" wiring.

Halcyon said:
eabeukes said:
Halcyon - did you cut the speaker harness or buy an adapter?

Installed a new speaker loom. Necessitated by the common ground system used by Porsche. But spliced back into the original loom, post the amp in the frunk as that's all "normal" wiring.

This may be a really stupid question, apologies in advance! - are you saying that the speakers only have a live running to them from the amp, and are grounded through the chassis?

Dammit said:
Halcyon said:
This may be a really stupid question, apologies in advance! - are you saying that the speakers only have a live running to them from the amp, and are grounded through the chassis?

Lol, no. The speaker loom from the head unit to the OEM amp location share a common ground so only use five wires instead of eight. Modern digital amps don't like it and you might lose the fader and / or balance functions. That's what happened to mine, so I replaced the loom.
From the amp on, they use standard 2 wires per speaker.

Ah, ok - my boundless ignorance in play once more.

So you ran an entire new loom, or only three more earths?

It looked to me, earlier today, that it would be a ***** getting new wires through alongside the existing ones:

45763207302_2f978de04b_b.jpg

8 wires with a standard ISO plug at the head unit end. I ran the wires through the bulkhead on the driver's side (along with the RCA leads) as it was much much easier to get through that way :thumb:

Halcyon said:
I have the Focal iBus25 but you're right - underseat is inaccurate - it's more like "rear foot-well"
:?:

Would you mind sharing a pic of your Focal in situ? & have you been happy with it?

I'm mulling over the Focal ibus20 (only need the active sub, not the extra 2 ch amp) or a kenwood ksc-sw11.

Here's a link to how I installed some Hertx DCX 100.3's in the stock grills: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=1447088#1447088

I've ordered a pair of Hertz 130.5's for the doors as a winter project, which does mean that the amp will need to change, so much studying of wiring diagrams and headscratching to come.

I'd also be interested in a sub-seat-sub that could actually fit under the seat, if anyone knows of one?

sp1ke said:
Halcyon said:
I have the Focal iBus25 but you're right - underseat is inaccurate - it's more like "rear foot-well"
:?:

Would you mind sharing a pic of your Focal in situ? & have you been happy with it?

I'm mulling over the Focal ibus20 (only need the active sub, not the extra 2 ch amp) or a kenwood ksc-sw11.

That Focal is 36cm*8cm*26cm (all rounded to the nearest cm).

I guess the first thing to do would be to make a mock-up from some cardboard and see if it fits in the space you have.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back