Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

New to 996's

Car looks great, welcome to the forum. Another self confessed spanner spinner here, most jobs on the 996 are really quite simple especially if you have a little background in cars.

Anything you need to know just post up, between us we have been through most things and there will be an answer for all your questions.

That'd a great welcome so we're definitely off to a good start. Weather was horrendous here last night so I'll get a good look round the car today and see how I'm fixed. Have to keep the wife happy. She goes mad when I go out to 'play with th cars". Even if I'm fixing hers😂

I have 4 young kids so times always against me but thereoalways be at least 1 wanting out for a spin.

It's over due a service but it's done next to nothing since the last service.
What's people's opinions on the airbox mod that seems to be popular? The 1 by blanking off the small resonating pipe on top off the air box?

Can't beat a midnight blue 911 :)

Looks awesome. Welcome to the ownership experience.

NedHan79 said:
That'd a great welcome so we're definitely off to a good start. Weather was horrendous here last night so I'll get a good look round the car today and see how I'm fixed. Have to keep the wife happy. She goes mad when I go out to 'play with th cars". Even if I'm fixing hers😂

I have 4 young kids so times always against me but thereoalways be at least 1 wanting out for a spin.

It's over due a service but it's done next to nothing since the last service.
What's people's opinions on the airbox mod that seems to be popular? The 1 by blanking off the small resonating pipe on top off the air box?

I did mine, I don't think I noticed any difference. In fact I forgot I did it until you wrote that. Might go out and undo it just to check if I am going mad or not.

I did mine but I've switched back to the norm as my car got really loud.......but I've since noticed my cat to back box sleeves are blowing.

Once I get that sorted I may try the resonator delete again. It did seem quite boomy and no difference on performance.

I have the helmholtz resonator bypass with a BMC filter, and it does add some nice intake noise. Bit louder than stock, but not noticeable when pottering.

Right. Quick update. Checked a few things today and got out for a blast. Passenger footwell is full of water and there's a little in round the battery. I read on another thread here about the rubber bungs clogging up below the battery. Had this problem on my seat exeo. I read I need to put the key in the first position before disconnecting the battery, is that right? And have it there to reconnect it? My friend is a cleaner so I'm getting his vacuum that sucks out the water and he has some sort of fan to dry what's left.
I'll get onto that when I get the kids to bed. Keeps the peace with the wife.

Is there any other common ways for water to get in?

You don't need to remove the battery to unbung the drain holes. They're at either side of it.

Ok, so, sucked the water out with the vac and have a heater in the passenger seat now.
Where I would expect the water to drain was only a bung which I managed to push down through as I was trying to take it out. Is this where the water is getting through the bulkhead?
Or is that a run off for the water? If so why would I have a bung?

Attachments

• 0c6c67a6_b560_482c_a753_e021977f7c47_232.jpeg
    0c6c67a6_b560_482c_a753_e021977f7c47_232.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,530
Yep there's one of them at each side in the bulkhead.
They're like a rubber top hat tube. You do risk pushing them through when poking. My mechanic says Hoover them instead. I poked though and unblocked mine. They aren't very long.

Pour a bit of water down and check it comes out under the car.

Edited. Just been out and looked at mine. One in your pic is drivers side. Deffo the right thing. Let's water out.
Longer than I remember and you can end up just pushing the blockage further down the pipe.
There's another on the passenger side.

My pictures not great markup. It's the passenger side. On the drivers side I can clearly see the top hat tube but on the passenger side it was a top hat bung about 15-20mm deep. I pushed it through when trying to get it out for a look. It's definitely a bung and not a tube.
It's hard to see there

Attachments

• f217bfc6_721c_4218_bf97_1b07e02e2b57_569.jpeg
    f217bfc6_721c_4218_bf97_1b07e02e2b57_569.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,506
I've got the resonator bypass in place at the moment and I'm going to revert back - too boomy for me.

NedHan79 said:
Ok, so, sucked the water out with the vac and have a heater in the passenger seat now.
Where I would expect the water to drain was only a bung which I managed to push down through as I was trying to take it out. Is this where the water is getting through the bulkhead?
Or is that a run off for the water? If so why would I have a bung?

There are 4 drains in total and will all probably need clearing.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back