Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

If Not A Porsche, Then What.....?

My reasoning on changing was more of a whim than an actual necessity to change but it's been interesting to hear peoples feed back and opinions.

After 5 days of phoning around different dealers and managing by luck to speak to some big hitters in the second hand supercar market I decided to stay with the Turbo.
Without exception all the dealers said the same thing, the Super car market is on the cusp of a slump, if I buy now I will possibly take a big hit in depreciation in the Spring. This was my main reasoning behind not getting the 570s, buy it now stick it in the man cave till March and lose £10k, then take it out and service it, which was going to be £1400.

I've never been drawn toward Ferrari and from what I've heard there warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on, an ex Ferrari dealer told me this, plus they will drop in value.
Lambo, I actually really like the Huracan but again dealers are selling them pre reg with £40k off list price and the performante model is dropping like a stone in value, they do look and sound great.
McLaren, depreciation is the big problem, one dealer said he could get me a brand new 720s with £50k off list price. Insurance is high and servicing is yearly. One thing though McLaren are the only manufacturer to warrant a car on a track day.
Audi R8, just don't like the fact it looks too much like a TT coming toward you and it will lose a lot as well. It is after all a Gallardo chassis and engine, not that that's a bad thing but it's the badge.
Merc, have not even considered one, they just don't say Supercar when you see them but granted they look really good.

One acid test I always do is phone my mate up who's son is car daft and knows all the stats etc, I asked him which is the cool Supercar in your opinion and he said McLaren. Still he's not footing the bills!

easternjets said:
Without exception all the dealers said the same thing, the Super car market is on the cusp of a slump, if I buy now I will possibly take a bit hit in depreciation in the Spring.

Also the market has been over-priced for quite some time and sellers are not realistic over true values, probably beacuse they bought high in the first place :hand:

Im gutted, I just missed out on the White GT3 at Porsche Centre Wilmslow.

Some lucky sod got in first and has put a deposit down.

:sad: :sad: :sad:

m119cars said:
Morning Paul

Can't help with experiences of other brands I'm afraid but I would definitely recommend trying a GT3.

997.1 should be well within budget and as an added bonus your DSC module could be tweaked to fit aswell I think.

In comfort spec they are compliant enough to be used daily and I was amazed at just how bloody quick they are,! I expected the sublime handling etc but not the outright pace.

Happy to take you out in mine once it's out of hibernation next spring.......or another option could be a low mileage Turbo S with aero kit if only you could find such a thing :lol:

Splendid advice! And generous offer. MJA911's GT3 was a cracking piece of kit and I may go that route one day. I'll definitely take you up on that offer if I get that itch :thumbs:

As for your lovely turbo, I'm afraid that's a wee bit too rich for my blood :sad:

Hang on a second, I see what you did there. I was meant to be thinking about other marques.....and I'm suckered with a simple Porsche choice! :duh:

easternjets said:
My reasoning on changing was more of a whim than an actual necessity to change but it's been interesting to hear peoples feed back and opinions.

After 5 days of phoning around different dealers and managing by luck to speak to some big hitters in the second hand supercar market I decided to stay with the Turbo.
Without exception all the dealers said the same thing, the Super car market is on the cusp of a slump, if I buy now I will possibly take a big hit in depreciation in the Spring. This was my main reasoning behind not getting the 570s, buy it now stick it in the man cave till March and lose £10k, then take it out and service it, which was going to be £1400.

I've never been drawn toward Ferrari and from what I've heard there warranties aren't worth the paper they're written on, an ex Ferrari dealer told me this, plus they will drop in value.
Lambo, I actually really like the Huracan but again dealers are selling them pre reg with £40k off list price and the performante model is dropping like a stone in value, they do look and sound great.
McLaren, depreciation is the big problem, one dealer said he could get me a brand new 720s with £50k off list price. Insurance is high and servicing is yearly. One thing though McLaren are the only manufacturer to warrant a car on a track day.
Audi R8, just don't like the fact it looks too much like a TT coming toward you and it will lose a lot as well. It is after all a Gallardo chassis and engine, not that that's a bad thing but it's the badge.
Merc, have not even considered one, they just don't say Supercar when you see them but granted they look really good.

One acid test I always do is phone my mate up who's son is car daft and knows all the stats etc, I asked him which is the cool Supercar in your opinion and he said McLaren. Still he's not footing the bills!

Just to back up some of what you are saying..........a well known Mclaren indie dealer said in an article, that because of the limited numbers...he did not see the value of MP4 12C's dropping below six figures.

12 months on......you can get one for £85k :nooo:

Rhodris-dad said:
Just to back up some of what you are saying..........a well known Mclaren indie dealer said in an article, that because of the limited numbers...he did not see the value of MP4 12C's dropping below six figures.

12 months on......you can get one for £85k :nooo:

Less than £80K now.

The Achilles heel of the 12C was apparently the gearbox.

The first story I heard was that a customer had a 12C that developed a leak from the gearbox oil seal, he took it to McLaren (no warranty) and was quoted £30,000 to remove the gearbox and change the seal. This story was partly true. The actual fact was that Graziano Oerlikon who make the gearbox had a license deal signed with McLaren that only 'they' could open the boxes and repair them. The box would have been exchanged and that cost was £15,000 with labour £2000 on top.
That license agreement apparently runs out very soon and McLaren will be able to open the boxes and repair them in house.
If people are shaking their heads in disbelief then go to an OPC with a fault in your PDK box and much the same thing will happen, they are an exch unit only as well.
The fault on the McLaren box was apparently due to low use, the seal dried and perished and leaked.

easternjets said:
The Achilles heel of the 12C was apparently the gearbox.

The first story I heard was that a customer had a 12C that developed a leak from the gearbox oil seal, he took it to McLaren (no warranty) and was quoted £30,000 to remove the gearbox and change the seal. This story was partly true. The actual fact was that Graziano Oerlikon who make the gearbox had a license deal signed with McLaren that only 'they' could open the boxes and repair them. The box would have been exchanged and that cost was £15,000 with labour £2000 on top.
That license agreement apparently runs out very soon and McLaren will be able to open the boxes and repair them in house.
If people are shaking their heads in disbelief then go to an OPC with a fault in your PDK box and much the same thing will happen, they are an exch unit only as well.
The fault on the McLaren box was apparently due to low use, the seal dried and perished and leaked.

....makes the £7k two year warranty seem good value :floor:

Certainly a "Money no object" buy.

I did seriously consider one, even after reading about some of the issues in the "buyer's Guide" which is online.

....but then I came to my senses and bought a '15 4GTS for the same money with a 2 1/2 year warranty and no worries.

Has anyone has experience of the F-Type R? I'm curious about the supercharged V8 one Chris Harris raves about :?:

Funny you should mention that. I went and test drove one today and was blown away!

550ps supercharged V8 sounds intoxicating when you press the loud pedal!

Looks superb from every angle too!

Not sure about depreciation though :dont know:

Has anyone else had one?? Would be interested to hear what they're like to live with.

New997buyer said:
Has anyone has experience of the F-Type R? I'm curious about the supercharged V8 one Chris Harris raves about :?:

I have. :cloud9:

It was great fun but I came away knowing that I'd only experience the oomph and noise 2% of the time I drove it so the 3L V6 would make a lot more sense. They both look beautiful.

IMO it's one of those cars - even more than a 997T - which you would find very frustrating on UK roads.

I went for a basic 5L XF over the supercharged XF-R for exactly the same reason - that and the 22 mpg average rather than 16. :grin: - and very rarely use 'Sports' let alone 'Sports Dynamic'.

Cheers Terry. Think I might need to try one. It sounds pretty intense. Plus instead of Dinslaken I'm doing the NC500 for the 'NB50' and it could be a good way to do it :chin:

Though I'm struggling to see past the likely depreciation :eek:

New997buyer said:
Cheers Terry. Think I might need to try one. It sounds pretty intense. Plus instead of Dinslaken I'm doing the NC500 for the 'NB50' and it could be a good way to do it :chin:

Though I'm struggling to see past the likely depreciation :eek:

The SVR might not be so bad on depreciation (less made).

I have sat in a R and started it up (no drive unfortunately)

The biggest issue I have is all models look the same at first glance......even the fixed spoiler on the SVR is optional.

The only angle they look noticeably different, is from the back.....the number of tailpipes.

My point is, if I were paying £120k for a SVR...I would want it to look considerably different to the 2L base model which starts at around £50k.

My brother-in-law works for JLR (QA manager) and has just taken delivery of a base model, so when I see him a Xmas, I might get a wizz.

I think Jag are just trying to sell as many units as cheaply as they can
(no a criticism) and trying to have a car in every niche.

There is no argument that is a beautiful looking car though.

Jag dealers?..........don't get me started on that one!

Rhodris-dad said:
The biggest issue I have is all models look the same at first glance......even the fixed spoiler on the SVR is optional.

Most people would say that about a 911.

Les said:
Rhodris-dad said:

Most people would say that about a 911.

Fair point, but you have to be a spotter to tell the difference between an £100k+ SVR and the £50k 4 cyl F type.

A 911 is a 911.

Im surprised that the F Type has not depreciated more... its not selling particularly well but very few about in the used market for under £30k. For the money being asked for them used its hard to see past a similarly priced AM Vantage.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back