Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Slowwww Driversssss

i personally dont mind middle lane hoggers too much, at least you still have the option to go past them in the outside lane without breaking the law.. the really annoying people are the outside lane hoggers who drive along at a speed that they have determined no-one else has the right to go any faster and refuse to move over even when the other two lanes are free of traffic..i sort of get the point that unnecessary lane changing increases the risk factor, but at least it keeps your concentration levels up and makes you aware of whats around you. Sitting in the same lane for a long period of time makes you complacent. Its lazy driving and will most probably increase the risk of you falling asleep..its hard to drive safely when you are asleep.

Phil 997 said:
I believe the solution is the USA option of allowing undertaking (which I understand is not actually illegal in the UK) mainly as it seems old folks are worried that by driving on the inside lane they may fall off the road ......

.......... I agree that lane jumping is dangerious and why we should adopt the USA option.

Until last month when I drove in the US for the first time in 13 years I would have agreed with you but having witnessed what busy motorways are like with over-taking allowed on both sides I think there would be carnage in the UK.

I say this, partly because we don't have the luxury of many relatively straight 3, 4 or 5 lane motorways but mostly because we drive far more aggressively here than they do in the US. [or at least in California and Florida].

Over there I found that in a 70 mph limit 95% of drivers seem content to cruise at between 60 and 75 and pick a lane to cruise in. Unfortunately they all seem to choose a slightly different speed so they regularly catch something going 2 or 3 mph slower meaning that they do actually need to change lanes quite frequently.

For them this isn't an issue as they are used to checking their mirrors on both sides before manoeuvring. I found it quite alien but did get used it but I fear it's something that the vast majority of UK drivers would never get the hang of.

The most common issue I witnessed was where the odd driver - nearly always in a European car (BMW, Audi and Merc drivers were the worst) - seemed intent on doing 80+ and treated the motorways as a race-track, swerving all the time rather than using their brake pedal at all.

Given that a far higher percentage of UK motorway drivers seem to have less patience than their US counterparts I think there'd be absolute chaos. :nooo:

There's been some gold in this thread, had me laughing out loud.

Orbiting, blocking people from leaving the motorway and Phil's inputs.

Standard of driving on motorways in this country is appalling. Other than when the road is at capacity, using lanes allows the traffic to flow better and people to get around at the speeds they want to.

I agree that making progress in a well maintained car where the driver is alert is far safer than the people asleep at the wheel. The people that couldn't possibly be bothered to check their mirrors, indicate and move their arms.

Always amusing to see how the lane hoggers react to the various procedures we have at our disposal. Sometimes you bring the snoozers around and they remember they could in fact be in lane 1.

I think there's a time and a place for undertaking, I check the hard shoulder to make sure I have an emergency option should the hogger try to move into you. Obviously you shouldn't fly past them either.

Don't get me started on the people that think it their place to marshall the road...

T8 said:
Phil 997 said:
I believe the solution is the USA option of allowing undertaking (which I understand is not actually illegal in the UK) mainly as it seems old folks are worried that by driving on the inside lane they may fall off the road ......

.......... I agree that lane jumping is dangerious and why we should adopt the USA option.

Until last month when I drove in the US for the first time in 13 years I would have agreed with you but having witnessed what busy motorways are like with over-taking allowed on both sides I think there would be carnage in the UK.

I say this, partly because we don't have the luxury of many relatively straight 3, 4 or 5 lane motorways but mostly because we drive far more aggressively here than they do in the US. [or at least in California and Florida].

Over there I found that in a 70 mph limit 95% of drivers seem content to cruise at between 60 and 75 and pick a lane to cruise in. Unfortunately they all seem to choose a slightly different speed so they regularly catch something going 2 or 3 mph slower meaning that they do actually need to change lanes quite frequently.

For them this isn't an issue as they are used to checking their mirrors on both sides before manoeuvring. I found it quite alien but did get used it but I fear it's something that the vast majority of UK drivers would never get the hang of.

The most common issue I witnessed was where the odd driver - nearly always in a European car (BMW, Audi and Merc drivers were the worst) - seemed intent on doing 80+ and treated the motorways as a race-track, swerving all the time rather than using their brake pedal at all.

Given that a far higher percentage of UK motorway drivers seem to have less patience than their US counterparts I think there'd be absolute chaos. :nooo:

Terry I agree with you Americans are terrible drivers their reactions are horrifically slow, but they do use the roads better than we do and in general are less aggressive drivers (new york the exception) but as you said they all travel at similar speeds on Freeways, which we dont and we would need a culture change for it to work. As for Audi and BMW drivers they are the same the world over :floor: and I never realised that having a penis growing out of your forehead meant it made you drive so aggressivly or is it that aggressive driving causes a penis to grow out of your forehead , mmm interesting not sure which way round it is :grin: :grin:

The return of Marty Wild said:
There's been some gold in this thread, had me laughing out loud.

Orbiting, blocking people from leaving the motorway and Phil's inputs.

Standard of driving on motorways in this country is appalling. Other than when the road is at capacity, using lanes allows the traffic to flow better and people to get around at the speeds they want to.

I agree that making progress in a well maintained car where the driver is alert is far safer than the people asleep at the wheel. The people that couldn't possibly be bothered to check their mirrors, indicate and move their arms.

Always amusing to see how the lane hoggers react to the various procedures we have at our disposal. Sometimes you bring the snoozers around and they remember they could in fact be in lane 1.

I think there's a time and a place for undertaking, I check the hard shoulder to make sure I have an emergency option should the hogger try to move into you. Obviously you shouldn't fly past them either.

Don't get me started on the people that think it their place to marshall the road...

I agree mate :thumb: I never knew what orbiting was until this thread and had assumed it was some sort of dogging in a moving vehicle :floor: :floor:

Something that is probably more common when driving in France in the 993 is the amount of drivers who come up behind me at speed and get in my blind spot, whilst I am sitting in the middle or inside lane, and then match my speed for about 30 secs whilst they look at the car. The French do seem to admire unusual cars but this tactic has nearly caught me out on a couple of occasions, the glance over the shoulder before pulling out to overtake has saved me a number of times.

1. Too many cars on the roads now
2. Too many uninterested drivers to concentrate on what they are doing
3. Too many Peogeot Citroen Kia drivers crawling along A and B roads
4. Too many cones with nothing going on
5. Too many angry people at roundabouts and following tractors
6. Too many phone users / texters
Apart from that driving is a real pleasure when there is no one else about!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^He raises some good points.

I drove back from Eastbourne to Cambridge on Sunday much earlier than I would do normally. Left around 4pm, there must have been some convention on that I was unaware of, everywhere I went, people were driving at 10-20mph below the speed limit. Conditions were cool but clear, I have no idea what was going on.

What is wrong with these people? :dont know:

DrJimBone said:
https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/undertaking-is-not-illegal/

Just found this.... VERY interesting.

No more lane 1 to 3 overtakes for me. Straight up undertake from here on in. This thread has proven useful after all... reducing unnecessary lane changes.

Solid work team. :thumb:

Dr Jim, i'm following this thread post by post and haven't got fully to the end yet so this might be premature so bear with me.

If i was you i wouldn't rely completely on that piece from the Bike and Biker; while i understand his reasoning I've also done a lot of training with RoSPA and Class1 Police Riders and they would take a different view of this issue.

Further - and if you get caught undertaking its the prosecuting officer as an Expert Witness, who will book you for dangerous driving (or other offences) - this might be considered to be worse in a car (especially a Porsche) as opposed to a bike because of the size and physical mass of a car in such a maneuver.

For the avoidance of doubt, the Highway Code says we drive on the left and in the left hand lane. If you overtake you should move back in to lane 1. Simples.

Osh

chicb said:
:sad: Well I may as well take the gas now reading some of these comments. Anyone wanting a Carrera 4s, F-type Jag, Range Rover Sport & S class Merc give me a ring as I cant be trusted on the road.
I am 70, the berk in the Merc who is a worse driver than a drunk. My daily round trip is about 160 miles & somehow manage to keep up with the traffic flow in my daily driver the S class which is a really good car & can leave most cars behind. I don't wear glasses & my reactions are pretty good or maybe I cannot see the carnage I leave behind :eek: How many of you signal when you pull out & also when you come back in. Thought not. Its a wonder indicators are not an extra as they aren't used much. Maybe you should have a go at the boy racers who sit blipping the throttle at the lights. Oh that's you, sorry
Wonder how long it will take me pushing my zimmer 80miles twice a day. Now where did I leave that car & my specs, oh I don't wear specs. What was I writing about? :x :D

As a former Gold Standard RoSPA rider, i use my indicators 'where necessary' to warn other drivers of my intended maneuvers

The most impirtant thing, IMHO, is obersavtion. As a former rifer I try and drive like I used to ride - imagine you are invisable as there are so many myopic arses on the road.

Someone mentioned earlier about taking a retest every 10 years; your licence is a privilege not a right. I'm very much up for this and there should be retests that give a Fail, Pass-Bronze, Pass-Silver and Pass-Gold result which, in turn, effects your Insurance.

If you fail its because you are a sh!t driver - and really shouldn't be on the road; go and get a shed load more training and re-apply to take your licence

If you get Bronze there should be more compulsory training that you have to complete in a fixed period of time and be retested.

Silver would be a pass but with observations that, if you took them on-board, would make you a better driver

Gold would be a clean sheet and top marks.

Lets be honest - we could all do better; none of us are perfect. Its one of the things I used to love about my RoSPA licence; it had to be resat every 2 or 3 years (unlike IAM)

Just my 2' worth

Osh

This is a very good idea, but I am afraid that the costs of implementation are likely to be seen to outweigh the costs of tolerating low driving standards (in terms of load on the emergency and health services, as well as indirect and social costs of lost-time injuries) at a policy level.

Perhaps we as drivers should be lobbying our insurers for lower premia if we can demonstrate greater responsibility behind the wheel, rather than pay premia based on averages, repair costs, age, gender and postcodes.

MaxA said:
This is a very good idea, but I am afraid that the costs of implementation are likely to be seen to outweigh the costs of tolerating low driving standards (in terms of load on the emergency and health services, as well as indirect and social costs of lost-time injuries) at a policy level.

Perhaps we as drivers should be lobbying our insurers for lower premia if we can demonstrate greater responsibility behind the wheel, rather than pay premia based on averages, repair costs, age, gender and postcodes.

But the insurer would insist on a telemetry device to demonstrate ongoing responsibility.

Then it's time to sell up and get the train IMO! :lol:

MaxA said:

Not sure i agree with that.

this could spark a whole fresh set of jobs - especially for retired ex-Police Officers as testers, we could also get more Police on the motorways looking out for ***** drivers and CLOC's and fining them for the way they drive.
Also if you had to pay for a retest every 10 years that would bring in a shed-load of revenue.

There are 45m drivers licences issued in the UK - so thats 4.5m retest p.a. or 375,000 p/month. At £62.00 a pop thats £23m a month or £276m a year - and that BEFORE you add in to that compulsory retraining for those who were deemed to have failed...

:bandit:

Osh

A compulsory bi-annual eye test for all drivers would be far cheaper and easier to administer and would eradicate a good % of 'strange' driving habits.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back