Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

Overkill?

I agree that's massive overkill.
Above 70mph you won't tell the difference between this and some ACME no make from China.

Get two Pioneer GM-D1004 amps. use one to power the main speakers, the other to drive the door speakers. That will do you.
and they would both fit in the old OEM amp location :thumb:

I had not thought of using two smaller amps.

Would the JL 6 channel not fit in the stock location?

I am (possibly wrongly) assuming that it's easier to fit one amp rather than two?

Ohhh, I just remembered, this is project ridiculous! No, that amp is absolutely fine for the job!
Yes it's total overkill and you will barely use 20% of its power but I can see the attraction of it from project ridiculous point of view plus all the fiddling you can do on the amp controls..

What's the view on the door speakers - good enough, or would they benefit from being changed?

Regarding the degree to which this particular project should be judged ridiculous, I'd rather rein it in somewhat - two smaller amps may well make more sense here, as that appears to be a significantly cheaper option than one larger one.

In previous installs in other cars I generally used a 4 channel to drive the main 4 speakers and a 2 channel bridged to drive a 12inch boxed sub as they can munch up some power, plus back then there were not many 5/6 channel amps around. no more difficult to wire up two than one amp as you Daisy chain the power.

Revelling in my almost total ignorance of these things I've found the Hertz EV 130.5 - good woofer for the doors, or insane and ridiculous?

Oh, you have door speakers, that complicates it a bit. I think the door speakers are woofers/mids, where they get the frequency filtered I don't know. Potentially yes if you're upgrading everything else then those too, but how they are wired is another question

you not going to go far wrong with those if they fit, yes insane and ridiculous of course..

That's why I was looking at the 6 channel amp:

2x mids+tweeters on dash (Hertz 100.3)
2x woofers in doors (Hertz 130.5)
2x mids+tweeters (?) rear (100.3 again?)
1x Bose sub (has own amp)

Idea was to feed the three pairs from the amp, and the sub direct from the HU

Those Pioneer amps are tiny - i have one driving the door speakers in LF mode and I think it sounds much bigger than its size suggests.
But the H/U drives the little 4" speaks - again, they aren't big speakers so it seems pointless to overpower it.

The door speakers are very good quality (better than the dash ones) and worth keeping. You'll struggle to replace them without cutting / modifications as you'll never find 5 1/2" replacements, so you'll have to use 6 1/2"

And I have a slim sub under the seat (Actually way better than I thought it would be)

But even after all that, it all gets into a losing battle with the tyre / wind noise... (But mine is a soft top)

Trial fit of the sub today as I have the car back - it's close, I suspect it could be finessed, but it clearly wants a lower centre console to be next too, and I don't have one.

I think, therefore, that either a sub-seat sub is the way to go, or rely on the door speakers for bass.

If anyone (who has a centre console, or is fearless when it comes to cutting up carpets) wants a sub please let me know.

You might find a pair of slimline subs fit behind the seats on the back window like the Boxster has would work better

I'd take the sub off your hands but I'm too far away to collect!

What under seat subs are people using? I have an active Pioneer slim line that won't fit under mine...

I have the Focal iBus25 but you're right - underseat is inaccurate - it's more like "rear foot-well"
:?:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back