Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Speaker upgrade

eabeukes said:
I am in the process of swapping out all 4 upper speakers from the old Nokia ones to Hertz DCX 100.3's. O chose these as they give a much broader frequency response compared to the Alpines and others. Theyre also made by the same people who make Audison (and are pretty much the same thing :D ) but for less money.

Do these fit into the JMG adapters?

asterix_the_gaul said:
Simply not true. The main iso plug B carries the amplified signal, the mini iso the line levels, yes it has a common ground.

Edit: also found a pre wired mini iso plug on eBay so save faffing around wiring up RCA sockets, if the pin assignments are different they are relatively easy to swop round

Looking at the wiring diagram for my Becker I have a sub line out (pin 6) on the C1 connector:

image.png

Could this line be run directly to the amp for the Bose sub, along with power etc?

I bought one of the Bose subs that go in the footwell, now I need to understand how to wire it - and my knowledge of things electronic is frankly dreadful.

How does this look, to go to the sub's amp, from the back of my Becker?

Socket C1, pin 6, rear sub +
Socket C1, pin 3, line out ground
Socket A, pin 17, switched live
Socket A, pin 8, ground
Socket A, pin 4, permanent live

That should work OK, but you may be better using the remote on control out of socket A rather than the switched live, it's only a minor point, but means the sub would turn on when the head unit was on rather than all the time the car was running.

Big amps to drive subs generally get a feed direct off the battery with some decent gauge wire, how nessisary this is I can't say, I imagine a little one to drive a footwell sub won't need industrial power feeds and the run is pretty short as is

Socket A pin 5 for the remote on?

And therefore:

Socket C1, pin 6, rear sub +
Socket C1, pin 3, line out ground
Socket A, pin 5, remote on
Socket A, pin 8, ground
Socket A, pin 4, permanent live

(If I'm incredibly lucky there's some loom in there for the sub already, but I suspect I'm not going to be incredibly lucky!)

Dammit said:
(If I'm incredibly lucky there's some loom in there for the sub already, but I suspect I'm not going to be incredibly lucky!)

Don't know Neil but Porsche are odd with their wiring, I still can't understand why the wiring for things like cruise are only present when the option is fitted as standard and wiring has to be updated when it is retro-fitted. Must make their harness options complicated.

Only one way to find out! Should not be too hard to DIY, hopefully, and an educational project for me. Trick is to do it without cutting any factory wires, so I suspect I'll be getting friendly with car audio connector catalogues.

Can anyone recommend a decent set of tools for pinning/de-pinning, and a decent soldering iron for a ham-fisted beginner?

You do need a decent power iron for heavier car wiring, my neat little electronics iron really doesn't cut it so I bought a cheap, large iron from Machine Mart for the replacement resistors on the radiators.

There are good arguments for crimping rather than soldering pins. Soldering makes the joint brittle and the cable cores can fail. Crimping is less good where corrosion can be a problem. Having said that, I soldered the new pins for my cruise control.

I gave my standard Becker unit a boost by adding the following components, I wouldn't say it's now awesome but for a relatively small outlaw it does sound much better, looks standard and is way louder with decent bass:

Alpine SPG-10C2 speakers x4 £80
Alpine KTP-445U Power pack mini amp 4x 45w RMS £130
Kenwood KSC-SW11 150w Subwoofer £95
Becker 4 channel pre-amp and sub output lead CT29BK01 £9
Ebay mini-phono lead to connect phone £5
3m Phono leads £6

Mounted the amp under the passenger side dash and fixed the subwoofer on the rear shelf both with double sided carpet tape. I set the amp to 50% gain and routed as much bass as possible to the subwoofer to give the other speakers an easy time.

...I have the Bose system in my 996.2 and it's either pretty awful or these cars are just so damn noisy that any system in them is a waste of time?

I have Naim at home so meet my audio needs this way not in the Porsche!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back