Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996.1 cab C2 manual

Hah, true.

I think the goal would be to reduce the number of colours, but I do have a soft-spot for the yellow 12 O'clock band, so that will stay.

I think the simplest route forward would be to re-trim everything in alcantara that matches the handbrake. I imagine that that would not be cheap, however.

I am looking at getting my dashboard and other interior panels trimmed in Alcantara, I'll let you know how I get on.

MC

Ha, definitely a big undertaking.
The jury is still out here on the durability of the alcantara. As I reported at the time even my trimmer sighed and said "That is going to wear horribly" when he saw my Cup wheel. :grin:

I've just mentally written off the cash to get the wheel re-trimmed every couple of years. I won't ever touch the alcantara around the gear lever, and the handbrake has that little metal part where you grasp it (which I'm still blaming you for Mark!)

This is for a 993 but something similar could be constructed for your car i feel.

This sort of thing is more a winter project than a summer job though .. time involved would far out weight it being cost effective if the garage was busy .

Attachments

• 993_rear_seat_delete_646.jpg
    993_rear_seat_delete_646.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 1,952
Interesting! I need to spend some time sketching out possible layouts.

I collected the car today, drove home - motorway and then London, so cruising rather than actually driving, but I was changing gear so some first impressions.

The lever looks great, it's a very nice match for the wheel, and I think the classic look suits the interior of the 996.

It puts the top of the lever in a very natural position, and it feels very pleasant to hold.

Being longer than standard it does make the shift action longer. This is the thing I'm wondering about - whilst the shift is very accurate (997 GT3 mechanism) the shift movement is something I'm working into my muscle memory of how my car works. I do wonder whether the extended lever might be a better partner for an SSK - each would balance the other, as it were.

That said I don't dislike it, I think I just need to put some more miles under the wheels. I might order the shorter shaft from Function First, as that's a simple swap, which would enable me to try standard shift distance vs new in a back to back manner.

Feels very nice in the hand, one of those pleasantly tactile objects that you keep reaching back for.

Those of you with an eidetic memory will possibly recall that I had created a multicolour boot, ici:

30872842257_74015c193a_b.jpg

That obviously could not be countenanced, so I've changed it.

I also replaced the right hand trim-piece with one that hadn't had the CD changer related part snapped out:

43995920590_e2d508a0da_b.jpg

Everything out!

43995848020_042514a45e_b.jpg

These connectors are left over from the CD player, really just took this photograph for future reference, but it did occur to me that I still have the bracket for the CD changer, and if I get a larger amp it might make more sense to mount it where the CD changer used to be.

30872611317_7cce8cae39_b.jpg

Everything back in:

45763110892_dfa4fb9bf4_b.jpg

And with the false floor:

44899377405_1a9a7810ef_b.jpg

I think it looks a lot better now:

31941445048_dcb142a958_b.jpg

deMort said:
This is for a 993 but something similar could be constructed for your car i feel.

This sort of thing is more a winter project than a summer job though .. time involved would far out weight it being cost effective if the garage was busy .

I'm liking that. Very neat.

Neil the gearknob is getting tempting. I may go for one in the spring along with a decent short shift. Will I have to cut my alcantara gater off half way down?
Frunk is looking neat. :thumb:

Looking good. Lovely day there.

Yep I'm going to have mine re-perfected in spring and go for PPF. I can't relax when I drive the flippin' thing now. :grin:

That gaitor would be great. Much appreciated.
Happy to square you up what it stands you.
I'll pm you. :thumbs:

Looking very neat.

Good review of the gear knob, thanks. Am now torn between short and long shaft!

I think I'm cursed- an old intake manifold fell off a tyre and dinged the drivers door when the car was in the garage.

Can anyone recommend a mobile dent removal person who would cover South East London?

Gearlever - I've ordered the shorter shaft, really just to compare side by side.

My current thinking is that the shorter shaft may be a good partner to the 997.2 GT3 shift (997 424 010 91), whereas the longer shaft might be better suited to the SSK (97 424 983 00).

I really like where the longer shaft puts the lever relative to my hand - it feels very natural.

I'll try the shorter shaft, but suspect I may end up with a basically new 997.3 GT3 shifter for sale with a short Function First shaft.

No rush, however.

Still looking for a dent man recommendation, also!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back