Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice - 993 vs early 911T

pierrebear

As it says on the tin, I'd be grateful for wisdom/advice/guidance re my current dilemma...I had been planning various things to do on the 993 when suddenly I had my head turned by a LHD 1972 911 T - with a bit of man maths, I can make it work I think!

Whichever one it ultimately is will have to cope with commuting (albeit o lay around 11 miles in slowish traffic in Jersey) and a couple of leisurely jaunts through France.

Thinking is this - 993 is awesome and I love it. Spades of character and a beautiful combination of classic and modern. At 8/10s or above it is seriously fast. I drove a road rally in it this year from jersey to Monaco though with modern machinery and was properly outgunned (the Mrs' nagging re overtaking didn't help!). Made me start thinking I'd not say no to a LHD in my life instead...and then the thought of why bother trying to keep up with the automotive Jones' and their ever-increasing horsepower when I could be slowly winding my way up mountain passes in an early 911.

Am I mad? Anyone done serious miles in an early 911?

For serious miles in a 911T :eek: don't bother.

Heating/cool air doesn't work well, bike thin tyres meaning in the wet it will go straight on when you want to turn left, lack of aids means you have to know how to drive it well before you attempt fast.

Look OK for a classic car (short) run but longer forget it.

PS: I had one many years ago so have some experience. I didn't like how when it rained the rear seats would fill with water like sponges :what: but the 3 speed wipers and leather straps/buckles to fasten in the carpets were a nice touch :roll:

I think the thought is great and it has passed through my mind more than once ...... but in reality I would agree with Zingers.

Zingari said:
For serious miles in a 911T :eek: don't bother.

Heating/cool air doesn't work well, bike thin tyres meaning in the wet it will go straight on when you want to turn left, lack of aids means you have to know how to drive it well before you attempt fast.

Look OK for a classic car (short) run but longer forget it.

PS: I had one many years ago so have some experience. I didn't like how when it rained the rear seats would fill with water like sponges :what: but the 3 speed wipers and leather straps/buckles to fasten in the carpets were a nice touch :roll:

not quite accurate .. for long runs the old pre74 cars are great. I'd happily choose to drive my 2.4S for 300-400 miles in a day . One of the comfiest cars I've had ..Heating is fantastic .. infact can be too good ( ssi stainless heat exchangers and everything else working as it should ) .. i'll admit, ventillation on really hot days is limited , so it is a wind your windows down solution.

water in the car .. due to bad window seals etc .. any car can have these problems, its a question of getting a good one & looking after it.

Handling ... zingari is talking bollox .. as with any car , suspension set correcty and you've got great turn in. Mine has a sharper front end bite than my 964.

A 911 T doesn't have the excitment in its engine as the S though, but a T would be better suited to slow traffic

But, using everyday for 11 mile commute .. a friend of mine used his '71 2.2E everyday for his commute in Yorkshire and loved it .. but , the bodyshell was ***** after 4 years of winter salt ... its currently being restored and it was scary how bad the body was.

Personally I'd have the 911 for the nice days and for the tours through europe etc , & have a cheap runaround for those crappy winter months ( I'm not sure how bad winter is on the island though )

Yikes - totally contrasting opinions...thanks, gents.

James - I am particularly intrigued by what you say - there is no salting of roads here in Jersey as the winters do not tend to be too rough. I fully accept that I would have to keep on top of the bodywork etc. perhaps by getting the car detailed and protected with some form of wax regularly...it is an intriguing prospect though!

It all depends on what you want / expect from a car. An early 911 is ultimately a 'stripped down' version of the later aircooled. Its a back to basics transport .. and if you're like me you'll love it. If you want a quiet car with a decent stereo & aircon , then maybe you won't

I've had my 2.4S for over 15 years, and have driven it on the short trips to the shops through to many long european trips, ... along with thrashing the tits off it on my local Yorkshire dales routes. At speed, its a car that has to be 'driven' as every input you make matters ..

I could quite happily drive mine everyday if there wasn't salt to worry about.

Just remember, every early 911 I've driven has felt different .. either due to spec or more importantly condition. Also do drive a T .. a 2.2T on carbs is very different from a 2.4T CIS for example ( a 2.2T is a pretty slow car with only 125 bhp )

hot66 said:
Just remember, every early 911 I've driven has felt different .. either due to spec or more importantly condition.

Believe me chum my 911T felt very different to your experience :what: Whilst I wouldn't ordinarily favour going back to prehistoric ages to do serious distances I recently drove a LHD 3.0SC import and found that very precise and impressive :wink:

Zingari said:
hot66 said:
Just remember, every early 911 I've driven has felt different .. either due to spec or more importantly condition.

Believe me chum my 911T felt very different to your experience :what: Whilst I wouldn't ordinarily favour going back to prehistoric ages to do serious distances I recently drove a LHD 3.0SC import and found that very precise and impressive :wink:
Don't be in any rush to get rid of your 993. They are wonderful cars - I commute in mine, drive the motorway at weekends to go home and have done 3 Trackdays this year

I admit that they are much slower than the latest Porsche's. I was simply blown away by the power and speed of the latest GT3s at an Oulton Park Track day last week.

Zingari said:
hot66 said:

I have driven every generation of aircooled 911 and the SC is a sweet spot without doubt. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back