Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

CLR Project Leichtbau: adding lightness to the tune of 250kg

And another thing..

Thanks to inspiration from this thread, my 996 now sports a Deltran Battery Tender battery, in the CLR stylee. The lack of mass is very apparent when driving and apart from going to H&R coilovers, it's the biggest difference I've felt from any mod. I had thought that taking 15KG out of the car from within the wheelbase was not going to make all that much difference, but it really shows.

Thanks for showing the way Richard!

Thinking of you Richard :thumb:
Paul.

Take good care of yourself Richie.

When my mum died suddenly in 2011 and then my dad 2 years later it was a double hammer blow. Death and grief can be brutal.

But we all find our way. And so will you.

You, be you. And do whatever you need. You're already extraordinary. The talent that's within you is a gift. If you park it up that's okay. It'll still be there if you choose to drive forward again.

Slainte mhath :cheers:

All the best, Richie.

Your work has been inspirational to us all.

All the best, Richie.

Your work has been inspirational to us all.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's a terrible, but unfortunately inevitable part of this life business. You've been an inspiration to many on here, taking in work which leaves me shaking my head in amazement of what people are capable of.
As far as "man up" thing, put that thought in the bin. There is no rule book on how we each choose to live our lives, and if you wish to tag out for a while to smell the roses, you crack on. If smelling the roses becomes full time, then you crack on as well.
I can only offer one piece of advice. Health, whilst you go through this discovery phase, exercise must be a key part of your life. The physical benefit, along with the mental benefits of exercise will help keeping your mind from wandering into the dark depths. Plenty of my mates have gone through rough patches, and my observations on them has seen positivity return as soon as they put the runners on or get the bike back out.
Good luck with your new journey, what ever that looks like

ELA,

Where did you get your mirrors from?

Cheers

ELA said:
Mirrors finally ready and have been shipped out today :D

Terra I have nothing scientific to verify the CofG or Weight distribution just yet but I did some high speed testing last week (multiple 150mph runs upto 181mph) and the front end, upto say 165 seemed quite stable. from 165-180 it was light but how this compares to stock I can't remember and also at this speed on public roads (legally over here), the concentration levels are perhaps skewing your ability to focus as intently as you would like into just this one area.

Incredibly I am a Porsche driver from Herts and I have just finished reading this after 3 day's too!

Phenomenal thread.

Listen to the wife and keep it if you can. I just sold a race car I had before Xmas and I know I'll never get a chance to buy it back again.

I am not ready to start on my 997.2 C2s yet but this would be a great basis for a modification route once I no longer have it as a daily driver.

Essence plus wheels and carbon roof is my first thought but I appreciate you may have stepped back from doing the conversions which may well end up saving me a small fortune!

Really excellent thread. Thank you and I hope life is feeling a little kinder now.

David

Don't know what went wrong but I wasn't notified that this thread had been replied to so my apologies. I came up here to post an update. So before that, again thanks for all your kind thoughts and ideas.
In answer to your question crash7, the mirrors are a set of genuine Ruf mirrors that were then moulded to make from Carbon Fibre. Still even retain electric functionality ;)

Update: I drove the car for the first time in what must be getting on for 6 months today. It is always scary when I first get behind the wheel as it is such a different animal to anything else. So I treat it with a great deal of respect especially more so when it is early March, very cold and I'm running Cup 2's. Reason for the update is I've been asked many times now for some performance data to back up the philosophy. So I took the car to my private test track :D for a little test run. Knowing the conditions were not perfect and I hadn't even checked the tyre pressures, I just gave it a fairly gentle start to get a rough idea of how the CLR pulls from rolling to 130mph. I've not reviewed the times in any meaningful way as I'm not overly fussed but to be honest I was quite impressed with how it felt. Really does pull quite hard and the drive there and back reminded why I went down this path in the first place. I am truly over the moon with the car with just how mental it is. I also have a private hill-climb venue :cough: and the drive up and down that just now was breath-taking.
I was prompted to take the car out today having read a few post by some prolific posters here who are considering selling. Don't do it guys, just pick a dry day and go for a blast. I'm still shaking now :thumb:

So even with a whole list of excuses :grin: it looks like the car still achieved the following from my crappy iPhone video:

0-60mph in 4sec
0-100mph in 8sec
0-124mph (0-200km/h) in 14sec

All times rough based on the video below

In order to make the video I also spent an hour this afternoon making this little holder which did just the job:
46545811564_afa7bbc88e_k.jpg

Besides this I also recently bought one of my all time favourite cars with the aim of adding a little CLRness into it, so far already dropped 18.85kg :thumb:

46545798904_f0a0607e90_k.jpg

Already knee deep into it:

40295130923_68baca6a47_k.jpg

Good to be back where I belong :mechanic:

Outstanding :thumb:

0-100 in 8 seconds is seriously impressive!

Damn that things like lightning! Great job.

I love the inspiration for the post too!

That is very impressive! Good to see you enjoying the car and looking forward following the CLRness being added to the new addition.
As you said, get out and drive and you then realise what you have! 😀🏁

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back