Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911 997

terrylloyd

Hello to you all
This is my first thread on the website, I am really interested in the near future on purchasing the 911 . 997 around a 2007 up to about 25k . I dont really know alot about them but have been reading up on them and is it correct that the 2007 dont have the bore isssue and bearing problem as they have been upgraded . To me this is really alot of money and i obviously need to make the right choice of car.
Also are they reliable? as a friend has told me to stay well away unless i purchase nearly new, which obviously i cant.
Could you please give me some advide as i need to make sure its the car for me
Thanks Terry

997 do suffer bore scoring, seal issues are not such a concern. Gen2 cars are considered a lot more bullet proof in this regard.

Some say they would only get a Gen2 from the 997/987 era. Others say if you go in with your eyes open then it's fine to get s Gen1.

This place is a wealth of knowledge, do some homework! And read all of what Baz from Hartech had to say on the matter of bore scoring.

:welcome: to 911uk Terry

Well done on joining us before buying a car. The info and help you'll get will potentially save you £££s and definitely loads of time.

A 2007 car will have the latest IMS bearing and if you're happy to go for a 3.6 (non-S) manual car you'll stand a better chance of avoiding bore-score although sadly, with miles and/or poor ownership in early life, this will affect all cars to some degree.

£25k is a decent budget for a first 911 but you'll need to spend more to get and keep a 10 year+ old car up-to-scratch.

Have a good read through the 997 sub-forum and look for threads that give you an indication of what to expect. You really do need to go in with your eyes open.

Happy Hunting :thumb:

You'll need to be putting in hours of study if I were you, or if you can afford it, get a Gen2 but for that money, I'd imagine it would be very leggy but I don't keep an eye on the market.

My ownership thread, should help, a lot is the same for the Cayman as the 911:

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=116411

Lots of common sense that applies to buying any secondhand car applies, buying from a forum member has always worked for me in the past. You know you have a higher chance of getting a loved car and can read up on its history.

I'm of the opinion that Gen1s can be bought and enjoyed, scout out a good one. In a perfect world one with a Hartech rebuild as them they're considered bullet proof. Failing that, find a good one, get it checked for borescoring, then follow the preventative measures as spoken about in great depth on here.

Namely warming her up (under 3k revs) and down properly, fitting a 'low temp thermostat', running Millers Nanotech 10w 50 oil. Yearly oil changes are strongly recommended. And then drive her as god intended, plenty of evidence to say blowing out the cobwebs is better than babying the car!

Finally, this straight from the Guru that is Gaz. After gunning it, if you get stopped unexpectedly, NEVER burn it back off again using all the revs. The engine temps get critical due to the oil circulation shortcomings of the Gen1 engine and indeed the nature of flat engines that can lead to the oil film in the cylinder failing and bore scoring taking place. So you've been giving it the beans and get stopped by traffic lights, no traffic light GPs with the hot hatch beside you. I go back to keeping her under 3k revs for a couple of miles.

Oh and Tiptonics are a no no, they pull away in second if left to their own devices and the extra torque that gets put through the engine appears to contribute to scoring. Finally, from my own opinion, steer clear of city cars, all that stop starting and low down rev work... not ideal IMO. Get a car that's loved and used properly.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3sp1f8
Back