Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Squeaking creaking rattle dashboard FIXED with windscreen tr

Jamesx19

Hello,

As I haven't seen the fix on 911UK I thought I'd signpost a link to Rennlist which has helped sort an annoying squeak from the dashboard area of my early 996 C2.

It wasn't the dashboard at all, but the windscreen frame moving againt some trim, or similar. Porsche dealt with it under a TSB 6420 (Technical service bulletin) quite early in the models life (1999 ish) so it may not help anyone experiencing something similar in a later model.

Anyway long story short, Porsche produced a fix, which you can buy from an OPC for the princely sum of £18!

Part no. 996.541.903.00

Link to Rennlist which also contains a link to a PDF so you can download the fitting instructions:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-for...-tsb-6420-windshield-creak-fix-with-rope.html

Worked for me. Hope it's of use

Cheers.

Ive not used that rope before but a common fix was Teflon tape under the screen rubber .. it kinda looks like selotape and seperates the rubber from the bodywork with a smooth surface which stops all the creaks when the frame flexes .

Its almost a chattering noise when you corner or drive on an uneven surface .

Hmmmm - I have a really annoying chattering noise when driving slowly over cobbles for example. Its such a light chattering that I feel it cant actually be suspension related (most of that is new anyway) but this is interesting. Would it still have been present on a 2002 model?

I've read the tech bulletin and from what I can see, whilst I should have an updated trim with my 2002 model, I can still suffer from the squeak. Its got to be worth a shot.

Stoo.c said:
Hmmmm - I have a really annoying chattering noise when driving slowly over cobbles for example. Its such a light chattering that I feel it cant actually be suspension related (most of that is new anyway) but this is interesting. Would it still have been present on a 2002 model?

Mine does that too occasionally. Seems quite temperature dependent. I've put it down to a coffin arm, but might try this screen fix.

996.2 - I have a squeak from the screen that I only get pulling onto the drive in the winter so not to bad,

I also have a f£&king annoying rattle that sound like its coming from between the stereo and the air bag, passengers say its further over towards the dash speaker. I've blue tac'd the alarm sensor in the centre - not that. Some days its there all the time others not a peek!

My mate pushed quite firmly on dash between the air bag and stereo which seemed to quell it. Gonna start removing items one by one to see if it stops - stereo(pcm), glove box, cup holder, speaker.

Any other suggestions - google not really thrown anything up?

Regards

Ian

Robertb said:
Stoo.c said:

Mine does that too occasionally. Seems quite temperature dependent. I've put it down to a coffin arm, but might try this screen fix.

I thought the same and I changed loads of front suspension components recently and it totally transformed things and this rattle seemed to go but now its back.

Rattles and squeaks are a rabbit hole... I ended up getting my daughter to sit in the back of my 4S and agreed to pay her if she hunted down two really annoying rattles!

I might do this for the sake of £18.

I occasionally get a very light chattering from dash/screen area but only in cold weather. Worth a go then.

My old volvo is squeak free during summer but in winter the rear edge of the dash rattles and squeaks. It's funny the difference a few degrees of temp makes.

Paynewright - try pressing on the bottom corners of the passenger airbag. It sometimes rattles in the mounting frame. There's a fabric tape that wears through/comes off. It used to drive me mad in my GT3.

Also if you still have a centre console the two cubby hole trays vibrate against each other, especially if one tray is still the cd drawers. A bit of foam tape sorts it.

Might not the above be but it's worth a check.

Can i just add .. this fault used to be common as muc ! .. i still see the odd car with this .

OPC fix was the teflon tape fitted under the screen rubber but if the rope works then use that .

By Teflon then i dont mean plumbers tape .. something like this ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/virgin-s...eflon-tape-10-x-0-25mm-per-1mtr-/283245064665

Obviously i would use the Porsche tape so worth a call to get a price .

Its a chattering squeeking noise but only when it can flex .. so bumps cornering etc .

Tee hee, like the use of family members to assist. I had my daughter pressing down and pulling up the clutch pedal while I was underneath the car bleeding the clutch system. Free of charge too!!

I started with a rattle coming from the passenger door side of the car. After a year of being driven potty by it I tracked it down to the tacky stuff on the door foam liner constantly sticking and unsticking in a small spot making a ticking noise.

As soon as I solved that, I suddenly noticed the dash creak/squeak/rattle/chatter which I'd never noticed before. DOH! :frustrated:

Now remarkably free of rattles. Just spent the day finishing off running in the engine around the EVO triangle, and roads about Bala, North Wales. Fantastic.

Bang over bumps - sun-visor mirrors flapping up and down due to broken springs (new visors).
High frequency rubbing noise - little plastic covers in the ceiling light (removed, Copydex, refit).
Another high frequency noise- handbrake release button vibrating (replaced handbrake with Tequipment one).
General rattling noise - passenger airbag (packed passenger airbag out a little).
Constant squeaking - window rubbers have lost flocking (krytox lube).
Squeaking clutch - clutch bushings (not fixed yet!)

For the window creak .. use rain X .. crytox often smears the windows .. rather annoying .

Downside is rain X will wipe away .. you apply it and leave to dry but will have to reaply it when noise comes back .

Use on glass and the rubber where both touch .

Clutch squeek inside and booster spring .. outside and slave / clutch cover ... grease on the end of the slave cyl first as otherwise its a box out and a new clutch :(

Cab roof locateing pins is another .. krytox them .. along with gummi fledge on the cab roof front seal .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back