Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Just replaced my engine mounts- WOW!

Ghianightmare

So further to replacing all of my suspension links - which made a huge difference to the car - I have just replaced the 2 engine mounts (Rein mounts from pelican parts which are reboxed OE mounts). Simple job compared to the suspension links that's for sure!

The difference in the car is incredible. I had read posts on here from others that had replaced theirs, but didn't appreciate what they said about improved handling until I drove mine just now. It is like a different car. Only now do I realize how sloppy it was. The engine is now semi rigid in the car, moves with the car, not against it. Gear changes under hard acceleration are so much smoother - the car doesn't lurch when the clutch is disengaged.

My passenger seat doesn't shake anymore either!

Highly recommend doing this to anyone who hasn't changed them.

I am delighted with the results. Between the new suspension and engine mounts, the car is finally fantastic! :D

Ghianightmare said:
Between the new suspension and engine mounts, the car is finally fantastic! :D

Have you done your gearbox mount?

............that's the final stage to make it fantastic. :thumb:

That will be next on my list when funds recover! Funny how one can become aware of play in the front when the rears are new. It's not too bad but I take your point

Powerflex inserts are only £30 and take about an hour to fit.

Thanks - didn't realize they were that cost effective- I'll look into them and do a search on here

I read this thread thinking it was what I needed but now I'm not sure.

I've also replaced all my suspension but do have a slightly sloppy shift as well as a very slight knock on acceleration as well as when I come off the gas. I had a new clutch less than six months ago and have also fitted a 997 shifter so I'm pretty sure it's not related to those.

The thing is I've just been under the car and I can't get the engine to move at all which I expected to be able to do if the mounts were shagged. Car is on £125k and not sure if they've been done before. Hard to tell with the exhaust tips as I set them when I replaced the exhausts last year.

What do people think? I've ordeded a gear box mount insert as well just so that everything is done.

Grab hold of both exhaust manifolds whilst under the car. Push up on one and pull down on the other and vice-versa. See if there is 'rock'. Also, go to the front end of your gearbox (you'll need to remove an undertray and see if you can movev the gearbox up and down at the front. The front gearbox insert is naff and sags. Personally I'd never fit a new one but would prefer the powerflex insert as it removes the 'air pockets'.

You can see the OEM bush here what a poo design it is:

oembushing_1.png

.....and here the powerflex inserts to beef it up:

FF-TMI-996-MT-70.jpg

Just change them. With 125k on them you can expect them to be toast. I have never seen a post where someone removed one and it was Still working.

I would be surprised if you weren't glad afterwards

This is something i often report on services but so few owners bother to replace them.

I have to admit i would struggle with the wiggle method ( im not big you know :) ).

I tend to look upwards at the mount and can see its dropped .

I did a search for pictures to try and show it but obviously its not easy to do an upshot let alone find one so the below will give you some idea of what to look for.

Rule of thumb .. if no history in 10 years to say they have been replaced then i would recomend it .

Attachments

• mounts_172.jpg
    mounts_172.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 3,601
  • mounts_1_139.jpg
    mounts_1_139.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3,601
Thanks all, using deMorts tip I think it's safe to say they're knackered, I can see about a 25mm drop!

New ones on the way

Thanks chaps 😎

Grey996 said:
I read this thread thinking it was what I needed but now I'm not sure.

I've also replaced all my suspension but do have a slightly sloppy shift as well as a very slight knock on acceleration as well as when I come off the gas. I had a new clutch less than six months ago and have also fitted a 997 shifter so I'm pretty sure it's not related to those.

The thing is I've just been under the car and I can't get the engine to move at all which I expected to be able to do if the mounts were shagged. Car is on £125k and not sure if they've been done before. Hard to tell with the exhaust tips as I set them when I replaced the exhausts last year.

What do people think? I've ordeded a gear box mount insert as well just so that everything is done.

I had a weird "clunk" on/off the power after I'd done my clutch. I was paranoid the flywheel bolts had come loose.

In the end it turned out to be the brace bar that runs across the car under the gearbox, this had corrosion trapped on mounting face, I cleaned it up and re torqued the bolts, no more nasty clunk.

My 996 turbo was on around 29k miles when I changed to RSS mounts. I got them cheap and wasn't expecting much change. I was pleasantly suprised. The idle chatter from rhe LWFW completely went and it just felt a bit tighter.

MC

I'd definitely recommend the standard new bush for the gearbox. A lemforder one can be bought for £16.

Those powerflex things are bloody awful but we all like different things.
If you like your interior buzzing like something from Ann Summers then go for it. Any coins almost try and make a bid for freedom from the ash tray. And if you don't have any gearbox whine now, you will once you get those insert things.

Some say "because race car". I say "because dog turd". :grin:

They overly prop up an old standard bush. Just get a nice new bush as porsche intended and that's perfect. Stiff mounts are great on track cars. Daft on road cars.

Like I say though we all have a different end goal for our cars. Mine is a 100% road car, being as sharp as it can be, whilst feeling as close as possible to a brand new factory fresh one.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back